Planning ahead and wondering about the best places to visit in April? Our run-down of exactly that will help you find your perfect spring break.
Whether you’re seeking a far-flung trip of a lifetime, adventures closer-to-home, or a chilled-out break in the country, we've got you covered. For more inspiration, read our guide to the best travel destinations in 2023. And wherever you decide is the best place to visit in April, there's almost certainly a Rough Guide to help you plan.
1. Kanazawa, Japan
Best for culture and cherry blossom
Though spectacular all year round, it’s especially magical when cherry blossom season unfurls in late March/early April. In 2023, Kanazawa’s peak bloom week is predicted to run from 30th March—5th April.
Blossoms aside, Kanazawa boasts several incredible historic districts. These include Higashi Chaya District, where old geisha houses sit centre stage.
Nagamachi District is a must-visit for travellers interested in samurai history. Here you can visit the restored residence of one of Kanazawa’s most influential samurais. Namely, Nomura Denbei Nobusada.
- Take a tour of town with a learned local resident.
- Discover everything you need to know about Kanazawa.
- Find out about Kanazawa's culture and heritage.
- Read up on the rise of Japan's Little Kyoto — aka Kanazawa.
- Get in-depth info from The Rough Guide to Japan.
- Into food and culture? Book an extended culinary tour of Japan that covers Kanazawa.
Make the most of your time in Kanazawa
- Best for 5-star luxury: Kanazawa Hakuchoro Hotel Sanraku. Elegant tea lounges, a hot spring bath, castle views.
- Best for indie travellers: B&B Mikawa Kanazawa Fish Harbour. This traditional house offers free bike hire.
- Best for couples: Zaimoku-an. Villa-style living in a top location.
Where to stay
Find more places to stay in Kanazawa, Japan.
2. The Cotswolds, England
Best for scenic spring strolls and a feast of festivals
Rolling countryside. Bubbling brooks. Impossibly quaint villages of thatched cottages and traditional tearooms. The Cotswolds exude archetypal English charm.
And all the better to visit in spring before peak crowds descend, when the region’s woodlands and gardens are at their most blooming beautiful.
One of the best walks in March and April is the Daffodil Way. This 10-mile circular trail traverses magnificent meadows, orchards and woods.
Love literature? Chipping Norton Literary Festival runs from 27th April 2023.
Meanwhile, if you’re into music, Cheltenham Jazz Festival will have you jiving and bopping from 26th April until 1st May.
- For wonderful walking routes and recommendations, you’ll want our Staycations Cotswolds guidebook.
- Exploring for longer? The Rough Guide to the Cotswolds, Stratford-upon-Avon and Oxford has you covered.
- Discover ten great things to do in the Cotswolds.
- Be inspired by the prettiest Cotswolds villages.
Make the most of your time in the Cotswolds
- Best for couples: Old New Inn. Old-world cosiness in quaint Bourton on the Water.
- Best for foodies: The White Hart, A 16th-century inn in Castle Combe serving daily local specials.
- Best for families: Bridge Farm Holiday Cottages. Pretty lodges on the outskirts of Honeybourne village
Where to stay
.Check out more accommodation in the Cotswolds, England.
3. Bohol Island, the Philippines
Best for beautiful beaches, Chocolate Hills and unique wildlife
Here, the dry season runs from December to May, with April presenting the lowest chance of rainfall.
As such, Bohol is one of the best places to visit in April for a tropical break that offers beach-chilling, wildlife-watching and hiking.
Talking of which, this is arguably the best time to walk the trails of Bohol’s iconic Chocolate Hills. At this time of year, the 1000+ mounds of this UNESCO World Heritage Site take on their most chocolate-y hue.
As for that unique wildlife, visit the Philippine Tarsier Sanctuary to see the world’s smallest primates in a protected forest.
Meanwhile, the marine life around Panglao Island offers out-of-this-world snorkelling and diving experiences.
- Take a full-day tour of Bohol's countryside to see those iconic Chocolate Hills.
- Cruise the Loboc River to watch wildlife, see villages and enjoy a gourmet local lunch.
- Read up on the best things to do on Bohol Island.
- Get The Rough Guide to the Philippines.
- Visit Bohol as part of an immersive trip to the Visayas — this suggested itinerary can be totally customised.
- Keen to travel better? Discover the best eco-friendly resorts in the Philippines.
Make the most of your time on Bohol Island
- Best for budget travellers: Adriana's Place. Glorious grounds, great food; dorms and bungalows available.
- Best for honeymooners: Epic Suites by Bohol Social Club. Stunningly-sited, with sea views and private pools.
- Best for home comforts: Villa 301 B&B. Cosy, quaint and quiet, with top home-cooked breakfasts.
Where to stay on Bohol Island
Browse more places to stay on Bohol Island in the Philippines.
4. Cordoba, Argentina
Best for art, culture and horsing around
The city's well-preserved microcentro boasts a bounty of colonial-era churches, monasteries, and municipal buildings. Meanwhile, the Centro Cultural Córdoba adds modern architectural panache.
Beyond the busy capital, the region of Cordoba is ripe for world-class horse-riding adventures. Visit Estancia Los Potreros to enjoy exactly that.
Then, for something very different, head to kitsch Villa General Belgrano. The town was founded in the 1940s by survivors of a Nazi battleship that sank off the coast of Argentina. To this day its streets are lined by Alpine-style buildings. Expect sausages, sauerkraut and strudel to loom large on menus.
As for why Cordoba is one of the best places to visit in April — this is a month of low rainfall, with temperatures averaging in the pleasant mid-20s.
Sounds just about perfect for mixing exploring the city with out-of-town adventuring.
- Discover why Cordoba is Argentina's most underrated region.
- Be inspired by the picture-packed Insight Guide Argentina.
- Don't fancy the hassle of planning? Browse our customisable Argentina itineraries.
Make the most of your time in Cordoba
- Best for couples: Caseros 248 Hotel. Modern, spacious and close to attractions.
- Best for families: AT Suites. Self-catering apartments, with an on-site pool.
- Best for four-star comfort: Amérian Cordoba Park Hotel. Slick service and good food in downtown Cordoba.
Where to stay
Find more places to stay in Cordoba, Argentina.
5. Isle of Skye, Scotland
Best for families, food-lovers, wildlife-watchers and walkers
Mysterious moors and mountains. Craggy cliffs and castles. Windswept beaches and lochs. Scotland’s Isle of Skye is the perfect place to get back to nature in spring.
First up, April heralds the start of puffin-watching boat trips. It's also a prime time to visit the enchanting Fairy Glen. Think emerald valleys, mini mountains and babbling brooks that seem conjured from a picture book.
For more natural magic, make your way to the Fairy Pools in the south. Not only is this a breathtakingly beautiful site, but it's also one of the best places in Britain for wild swimming.
Love your grub? Skye is celebrated for its shellfish, meats and locally-produced cheeses. Simply amble the island's picturesque capital, Portree, to find plenty of places to eat, drink and make merry. All the merrier if you drink a few drams of locally-crafted Talisker whiskey.
- Short on time? Explore the Fairy Pools, Talisker Distillery, Dunvegan Castle, and Fairy Glen on a full day trip.
- Read up on the best Scottish islands and the best things to do and see in the Scottish Highlands and islands.
- Travelling with kids? Read our guide to the best family-friendly experiences in the Scottish Highlands.
- For rewarding walking routes, read the Pocket Rough Guide to the Isle of Skye and the Western Isles.
- Planning a longer trip? Get The Rough Guide to the Scottish Highlands and Islands.
- Fancy exploring the lsle of Skye, plus Loch Ness and Edinburgh? Consider our customisable Highland Tour.
Make the most of your time on the Isle of Skye
- Best for B&B bliss The Beach House, Portree. Wonderful views and a warm welcome.
- Best for couples: Skeabost View Pods. Cute pod cabins with kitchenettes and glorious views.
- Best for foodies: The Royal Hotel. Sea views and top seafood in the centre of Portree.
Where to stay
Find more places to stay on the Isle of Skye, Scotland.
6. Madagascar — one of the best places to visit in April
Best for one-of-a-kind wildlife and landscapes
Given that this is the start of the dry, cool season that runs until October, Madagascar is one of the best places to visit in April.
To see the island at its most scenic, trek the canyon trail through Isalo National Park. More experienced hikers will want to tackle the Piscine Naturelle Circuit. There's a pretty, palm-fringed pool to cool off in along the way.
Famed for its indri lemurs, spending time in Analamazaotra National Park is essential. In addition, the wider rainforest area hosts the world’s highest concentration of frog species.
If that wasn't enough, it also boasts a significant chameleon population, giant boehmei day geckos, and over 100 species of bird.
You’ll also want to hit the island’s beautiful beaches. The sand is sublime for stretching out on after swimming and snorkelling with turtles.
- Discover Antananarivo, Madagascar's capital, on a customised private walking tour.
- Read up on the best things to do in Madagascar.
- Discover why Madagascar should be on your radar.
- Want to experience Madagascar’s natural majesty? Check out our customisable Wild Madagascar trip.
- Be inspired and informed by the photo-rich Insight Guide Madagascar.
Make the most of your time in Madagascar
- Best for couples: Eden Lodge, Nosy-Be. Beautiful beachfront bungalows with a laidback luxury vibe.
- Best for families: Hotel le Lagon, Foulpointe. Gorgeous gardens and bungalows by a beach.
- Best for in-town elegance: Hôtel Restaurant La Ribaudière. Set in tropical gardens in the heart of Antananarivo.
Where to stay
Discover more places to stay in Madagascar.
7. The Netherlands
Best for flowers and national festivities
Two pillars of quintessentially Dutch culture take place in April, and each is more than enough reason to head to the Netherlands.
Firstly, April marks the last month to enjoy the country’s famed tulip season. Flowers grow in the easily accessible northern regions, where the dull of winter transforms into a vibrant patchwork of rainbow rows.
Secondly, April 27th is King’s Day — Holland’s biggest national event. It also happens to be one of the best free best parties in the world.
Expect concerts, markets, fairs and a sea of orange-clad celebrants flooding Amsterdam’s scenic sidewalks, spilling out onto the boats bobbing on the canals.
- Discover the best things to see and do in the Netherlands.
- Read up on Dutch cities to explore beyond Amsterdam.
- Love music? Find out about the best festivals in the Netherlands.
- Get yourself The Rough Guide to the Netherlands.
- Heading to Amsterdam for a weekend break? Explore the city on foot with Insight Guides Explore Amsterdam.
- For new ways to enjoy the Netherlands, get in touch with our tailor-made trip experts.
Make the most of your time in the Netherlands
- Best for budget travellers: ClinkNOORD Hostel, Amsterdam. Modern and vibrant, with a great buffet breakfast.
- Best for culture-seeking couples: Eden Hotel, Amsterdam. A smart, central four-star.
- Best for river views: Room Mate Bruno. Boutique hotel in a former Dutch East India Company warehouse.
Where to stay
8. Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia
Best for breath-taking vistas and photography
Flanked by mountains and smouldering volcanoes, May sees its blistering white plains transformed into a shimmering mirror. The reflection of the peaks and sky is so perfect that the horizon disappears. This leaves the mountains looking like islands floating in the sky.
It's a truly unique experience, and one keen photographers won't want to miss.
The lake is also home to strange and tenacious ecosystems that survive around its arid and salty margins. These include colonies of cacti, rabbit-like viscachas, and flamingos that nest here during the rainy season.
- Visit the Uyuni Salt Flats, Red Lagoon, Isla Incahuasi, Colchani, and more on a three-day tour.
- Browse our customisable trips to this region — from multi-country adventures, to exploring Bolivia's natural and cultural wonders.
- Read up on Bolivia's most beautiful journeys.
- Discover why it's worth making time to visit South America's most misunderstood country i.e. Bolivia.
- Read The Rough Guide to Bolivia,
Make the most of your time in Uyuni, Bolivia
- Best for salt-themed style: Casa de Sal. Great service and massive rooms built from salt blocks.
- Best for budget travellers: Le Ciel d'Uyuni. A hostel with a range of room options.
- Best for touches of luxury: Hotel Jardines de Uyuni. Modern-meets-rustic style, plus an indoor pool.
Where to stay
Explore more places to stay in Uyuni, Bolivia.
And remember, wherever you're thinking of heading, there's sure to be a Rough Guide to enhance every step of your journey from the moment you start planning.
Alternatively, if the thought of planning is holding you back, browse our customisable tailor-made trips.
We may earn commission when you click on links in this article, but this doesn’t influence our editorial standards. We only recommend services we genuinely believe will enhance your travel experiences.
Header image: Sainte Marie island, Madagascar © Shutterstock