Greece weather in August

If you’re looking for a classic summer holiday with all the trimmings — fun in the sun, beautiful beaches, and tonnes of entertainment options — you might want to visit Greece. With that in mind, read on to find out about the weather in Greece in August, and what to expect of costs and crowds. As a bonus, we also share itinerary suggestions that'll make your trip all the more special.

Greece in August at a glance

  • August is one of Greece's hottest months of the year, with temperatures ranging from 24°C to 32°C (75°F to 89°F).
  • August is characterized by clear skies and minimal rainfall, offering long days of uninterrupted sunshine and warm evenings.
  • Tourist crowds peak in August, especially in popular coastal destinations and islands, resulting in bustling beaches and lively streets, but also increased costs.

Is August a good time to visit Greece?

If you like the sound of long, hot, sunny days, bath-warm waters, and buzzy bars and restaurants, August is a great time to visit Greece.

Just bear in mind that it’s super-hot, and you’ll be in the company of many fellow visitors – August is one of the busiest months to visit Greece.

Thinking of visiting Greece in August? Browse our inspirational Greece itineraries to start planning your perfect trip.

Balos lagoon on Crete island, Greece © Shutterstock

The weather in Greece in August is ideal for blissing out on beaches. Balos lagoon, Crete, Greece © Shutterstock

Air and sea temperatures in Greece in August

August in Greece means hot days and evenings that tend to remain pleasantly balmy. Across the country, you’re looking at an average daily high of 32°C.

Heading to a Greek Island? Temperatures are pretty consistent between northern islands (e.g. Corfu, and the Ionian islands of Paxos and Kefalonia), and islands in the south, among them Kos and Rhodes

If you struggle to sleep in the heat, it’s worth knowing that the northern islands cool down more overnight than their southern sisters.

As for the sea, expect an average temperature of 26.3°C. 

Fteri beach in Kefalonia Island, Greece © Shutterstock

Fteri Beach, Kefalonia, Greece © Shutterstock

Can it rain in Greece in August?

Good news! There’s virtually no chance of rain if you visit Greece in August. 

You’ll have a 95% chance of a perfect, cloud-free sunny day, and a 5% chance of seeing a mixture of sun and cloud.

For more details on the weather in Greece around the year, read up on best time to visit Greece

Aerial view of Vikos Gorge, a gorge in the Pindus Mountains of northern Greece, lying on the southern slopes of Mount Tymfi, one of the deepest gorges in the world. Zagori region, Greece © Shutterstock

Vikos Gorge, Zagori region, Greece © Shutterstock

What about the crowds and cost?

There’s no getting away from the fact that August is the pinnacle of peak season in Greece. This means big crowds and the biggest costs of the year.

With demand high, you’ll want to book early to secure your favourite hotel, resort or villa.

To make the most of exploring Greece’s top attractions, — including all those ancient sites — we recommend visiting early in the day. That way, you’ll avoid the biggest tour crowds, and you’ll avoid the most intense heat.

Wondering where to head for your summer break? Discover more of the best places to visit in August.

Knossos Palace ruins. Heraklion, Crete, Greece © Shutterstock

Beat the crowds — and the blazing sun — by visiting the likes of Knosso Palace, Crete, early in the day © Shutterstock

What to wear in Greece in August

Having read how hot the average daily temperatures are in Greece in August, you’ll have realised that you’ll be spending most of your time in shorts, t-shirts, floaty summer dresses and swimwear.

For the same reason, you’ll also want to wear plenty of sunscreens and pack a sunhat. 

It’s also a good idea to bring light long-sleeved shirts, or a shawl, to cover up when the sun is at its hottest.


Assos village on the island of Kefalonia, Greece © Shutterstock

Unforgettable and fully customisable Greece itineraries

Dreaming of an August adventure that delivers sun, fun and breath-taking beaches alongside unforgettable cultural experiences? Our customisable Greece itineraries might just help you realise your dream, with a local expert on hand to take the hassle out of planning and booking.

  • Athens — City of the Gods (4 days): if you’re short on time and big on culture, this 3-night trip offers immersive insights into Athens’ ancient wonders and modern verve. From taking in the Classical charm of the Acropolis and the Parthenon, to indulging in the city’s thriving modern food scene in local tavernas, it’s a feast for the senses.
  • Epirus and Athens — the Ancient Sites (8 days): shrouded in myths and legends of Greek gods and Roman and Byzantine warriors, sites in the Epirus region of Greece have fascinating tales to tell. Add to that exploring Athens and the magic of mortuaries in Zagori, and this amounts to a diversely exhilarating experience.
  • Coast of Crete — a stunning self-drive experience (10 days): if you’re longing for awe-inspiring scenery, ancient culture, and a sense of freedom, this self-drive trip along Crete’s coast has your name all over it. 
Symi island in Greece © Shutterstock

Symi island, Greece © Shutterstock

What to do in Greece in August 

Island hop

Come August, Greek ferry schedules are at their most far-reaching and frequent, which means it’s a great month to enjoy an island-hopping trip.

There’s no better way to make the journey part of the experience. To kick-start your adventure, read our guide to how to plan a Greek Island holiday.

Or, if you fancy staying put in a single sunny scenic spot, you could base yourself on one of the best Greek Islands.

Love the sound of exploring Greece away from the mainland? Get yourself The Rough Guide to Greek Islands. And, if you’re looking for a romantic island idyll, our Greek Island-hopping Honeymoon trip has you covered.

View at Lindou Bay from Lindos Rhodes island, Greece © Shutterstock

Lindou Bay, Rhodes island, Greece © Shutterstock

Enjoy beautiful beaches and water sports

Stating the obvious here, but the weather in Greece in August is ideal for enjoying the country’s many, many beautiful beaches.

There really are hundreds to suit every taste. Travelling with kids? Our experts recommend Stavros on Crete — an island that has dozens of incredible beaches.

Love water-sports? Try Ayía Kyriakí in Mílos in the Cyclades for a myriad of family-friendly options.

Meanwhile, scuba divers could consider exploring the Dragonisi Caverns south of Mykonos, the wreck of the HMHS Britannic off Kea, or the many sites off Chios in the north Aegean.

Windsurfing on the sea coast. Tropical beach with turquoise water and big waves. Crete island, Greece.

Windsurfing in Crete © Shutterstock

Lively nightlife

If you want to party from dusk to dawn, you’ll be spoiled for choice if you choose to visit Greece in August.

To party in style, the cosmopolitan island of Mykonos has a reputation for being the best Greek island for nightlife. It’s not for nothing that this Cycladic stunner is known as the Ibiza of Greece.

Into banging back-packing gatherings? Former hippy hang-out Ios is known for its beach parties. Located between Naxos and Santorini, the island draws a young student and backpacker crowd in July and August.

Alternatively, if you want to mix things up, Kos offers everything from hardcore EDM clubs to smooth jazz venues.


Little Venice, Mykonos, Greece © Shutterstock

If you’re not keen on planning, browse our customisable Greece itineraries, and talk to our local Greece travel experts.

Joanne Owen

written by
Joanne Owen

updated 16.04.2024

Joanne is a Pembrokeshire-born writer with a passion for the nature, cultures and histories of the Caribbean region, especially Dominica. Also passionate about inspiring a love of adventure in young people, she’s the author of several books for children and young adults, hosts international writing workshops, and has written articles on the Caribbean and inspirational community initiatives for Rough Guides. Follow her @JoanneOwen on Twitter and @joanneowenwrites on Instagram.

Ready to travel and discover

Get support from our local experts for
stress-free planning & worry-free travels

Plan my trip ⤍