Greece weather in September

With a Mediterranean climate, Greece is a great option for travellers who are seeking a spot of early autumn sun. With that in mind, read on to find out everything you need to know about the weather in Greece in September, along with inspirational itinerary suggestions to help you make the most of your post-summer sojourn.

Greece in September at a glance

  • Average temperatures gradually begin to cool down, ranging from 20°C to 28°C (68°F to 82°F).
  • September marks the transition from summer to autumn, with decreasing tourist crowds
  • While rainfall may increase slightly compared to the summer months, September still offers plenty of sunny days and warm sea temperatures

Is September a good time to visit Greece?

In our view — and that of countless devoted repeat-visitors — September is one of the best months to visit Greece.

And the reasons? First up, the hordes of school holiday visitors will have departed. As a result, you won’t have to vie for space on all those beautiful beaches. Top cultural attractions will be easier to navigate, too.

At the same time, the weather remains blissfully warm and sunny, and all the bars, restaurants, resorts and facilities will still be open.

Thinking of visiting Greece? Browse our inspirational Greece itineraries to start planning your perfect trip.

Elafonissi beach in Crete © Shutterstock

The weather in Greece in September is still perfect for enjoying the likes of Elafonissi beach in Crete © Shutterstock

Air and sea temperatures in Greece in September

Slightly cooler than during July and August, the weather in Greece in September sees average daily highs of 29ºC. Come the evening, this drops to a pleasant 18ºC.

Note it’ll be a bit cooler in north-central and north-eastern Greece.

As for the sea, it remains 25ºC in September — sounds like bliss.

Can it rain in Greece in September?

On average, the weather in Greece in September brings an 88% chance of a perfect sunny day, and a 12% chance of experiencing a mix of sun and cloud.

In Athens, for example, rain falls in one every four days in September (but rarely for long). Rain falls less often in the Peloponnese and Cyclades.

For more detail on the weather in Greece around the year, read up on the best time to visit Greece

Naxos island in Greece, Cyclades © Shutterstock

Naxos island in the Cyclades © Shutterstock

What about the crowds and cost?

Come September, after the departure of school holiday visitors, the crowds in Greece thin out considerably.

As for costs, at the start of the month, you won’t see much of a change from peak summer season prices. 

However, as September draws on, more bargains can be had. That applies to the price of flights and accommodation.

Knossos Palace ruins. Heraklion, Crete, Greece © Shutterstock

Knossos Palace ruins, Heraklion, Crete, Greece © Shutterstock

What to wear in Greece in September

With average daily highs of 29ºC, you’ll mainly be wearing your summer wardrobe — swimwear, shorts, t-shirts and light dresses.

UV levels remain high, so you’ll also want to wear plenty of sunscreen.

We also suggest bringing a long-sleeved shirt, shawl or cardigan for the evenings. While the temperatures don’t drop off too much, it’s best to be prepared so you can sip al fresco sundowners free from goose-bumps.

Still wondering where to head for your early autumn break? Discover more of the best places to visit in September.

Fteri beach in Kefalonia Island, Greece © Shutterstock

Fteri beach, Kefalonia Island, Greece © Shutterstock

Unforgettable and fully customisable Greece itineraries

Fancy visiting glorious Greece but aren’t sure where to start? Take inspiration from our customisable Greece itineraries

With a local expert on hand to take the hassle out of planning and booking, living your best Grecian life couldn’t be easier.

  • Athens — City of the Gods (4 days): if you’re short on time and big on culture, this 3-night trip offers immersive insights to Athens’ ancient wonders and modern verve. From taking in the Classical charm of the Acropolis and the Parthenon, to indulging in the city’s thriving modern food scene in local tavernas, it’s a feast for the senses.
  • Epirus and Athens — the Ancient Sites (8 days): shrouded in myths and legends of Greek gods and Roman and Byzantine warriors, sites in the Epirus region of Greece have fascinating tales to tell. Add to that exploring Athens and the magic of mortuaries Zagori, and this amounts to a diversely exhilarating experience.
  • Coast of Crete — a stunning self-drive experience (10 days): if you’re longing for awe-inspiring scenery, ancient culture, and a sense of freedom, this self-drive trip along Crete’s coast has your name all over it. 
Balos lagoon on Crete island, Greece © Shutterstock

Balos lagoon, Crete, Greece © Shutterstock

What to do in Greece in September

The weather in September in Greece is a magical time, offering the perfect balance of pleasant weather, fewer crowds, and the lingering vibrance of summer. As the intense heat of August gives way to the milder, yet still sun-drenched days of early autumn, Greece unveils a different kind of charm. These are the best things to do in September.

Taste wine

September is Greece’s peak vine harvest month, which means wine-producing regions and islands like Crete, Kefalonia and Santorini brim with events devoted to the joys of the grape.

From local festivals and tasting tours that showcase the pick of the bunch, wine-lovers will be in seventh heaven.

Wine and sea scenery on Greece's Santorini island

Spending September in Santorini is perfect for wine lovers © Shutterstock

Experience the Spartathlon

One of the world’s most difficult long-distance races, the annual Spartathlon from Athens to Sparta sees participants follow in the footsteps of Pheidippides, an ancient Athenian long-distance runner.

Runners have 36 hours to run 246 kilometres (153 miles) — roughly the equivalent of six back-to-back marathons.

Traversing rough tracks, vineyards, olive groves and hillsides before ascending Mount Parthenio (1200m) in the dead of night, Spartathlon sure ain’t for the faint-hearted, but it is quite something to witness.

The Statue of Leonidas of Sparta in Greece © Shutterstock

Statue of Leonidas, Sparta, Greece © Shutterstock

Island hop

Sitting in shoulder season, Greece ferry schedules are still plentiful and frequent in September, which means it’s a wonderful month to island-hop.

Alternatively, if you prefer to stay in a single spot, you could base yourself on one of the best Greek Islands.

Love the sound of exploring Greece away from the mainland? Read our guide to how to plan a Greek Island holiday.

Enjoy beautiful beaches 

The weather in Greece in September remains ideal for enjoying the country’s many, many beautiful beaches.

There really are hundreds to suit every taste. Travelling with kids? Our experts recommend Stavros on Crete, whch is just one of the island’s incredible beaches. Into water-sports? Try Ayía Kyriakí in Mílos. 


Little Venice, Mykonos, Greece © Shutterstock

Windsurfing on the sea coast. Tropical beach with turquoise water and big waves. Crete island, Greece.

Windsurfing on Crete © Shutterstock

Uncover Athens

To see the likes of Athens’ Acropolis and the Temple of Athena without having to queue for hours or deal with huge crowds, October is an awesome time to visit the capital. 

Before you go, read up on the best things to do in Athens.

Get your adventure on in Crete 

(Slightly) cooler temperatures make September a top time to enjoy Crete’s adventure offerings — from gorge walking and trail hiking, to mountain biking, canyoning and horse-riding.


Acropolis, Athens © Shutterstock

Samaria Gorge. Crete, Greece © proslgn/Shutterstock

Samaria Gorge. Crete, Greece © proslgn/Shutterstock

Considering visiting Greece in September? Get yourself a copy of The Rough Guide to Greece to start planning your dream trip. 

Alternatively, if you’re not keen on planning, browse our customisable Greece itineraries, and talk to our local Greece travel experts.

  • Greece
  • Athens
  • Kefalonia
  • Crete
  • Santorini
  • Corfu
Joanne Owen

written by
Joanne Owen

updated 26.03.2024

Joanne is a Pembrokeshire-born writer with a passion for the nature, cultures and histories of the Caribbean region, especially Dominica. Also passionate about inspiring a love of adventure in young people, she’s the author of several books for children and young adults, hosts international writing workshops, and has written articles on the Caribbean and inspirational community initiatives for Rough Guides. Follow her @JoanneOwen on Twitter and @joanneowenwrites on Instagram.

Ready to travel and discover

Get support from our local experts for
stress-free planning & worry-free travels

Plan my trip ⤍