You probably didn't know Turkey's real name, you might have been confused about which city is the capital, and you probably thought tulips came from the Netherlands. It turns out, you were probably wrong. There is a lot more to Turkey than meets the eye - between the beaches and bustling markets lies a wealth of interesting history filled with religious and literary figures, civil war and a multitude of languages. Here are 20 facts about Turkey you probably never knew.
1. Turkey isn’t called Turkey. It’s actually been called the Republic of Turkey since 1923.
2. In 1503, Leonardo da Vinci submitted plans for a bridge across the Bosphorus – it was never built.
3. Turkey is responsible for 80% of the world’s hazelnut exports.
5. The first ever Christian church to be built by man was in Antioch, Turkey.
6. Santa Claus (St Nicholas) was born in Patara, Turkey.
7. Most Turks didn’t have surnames until 1934.