Venice in February: weather and climate tips

written by
Joanne Owen

updated 07.08.2023

As months go, February doesn’t exactly inspire enthusiasm — the light of spring isn’t yet on the horizon, while seasonal excitement is but a dim memory. As a result, it is a top time to take a blues-banishing break. For example, you could plan a trip to remember by timing it to coincide with enchanting carnival taking place in Venice. We'll tell you all about the weather in Venice in February.

Is February a good time to visit Venice? 

When it comes to the question of whether February is a good time to visit Venice, it all depends on what you’re hoping for. For example, if you’ve always longed to experience Venice’s celebrated Carnevale, it is the very best month to visit!

Expect parades, street performances, circus shows, music, and so many masks — it’s a sure-fire way to inject colour, life and energy to winter-weary souls. Be aware, though, that if you’re planning to visit Venice in February for the carnival, you’ll want to book accommodation well in advance.

On the subject of budgets, if you’re watching the pennies — and don’t fancy the huge crowds that carnival brings — you’ll want to avoid visiting Venice when carnival season is in full swing (and in the week leading up to it, for that matter). With that in mind, read up on where to stay in Venice, and be prepared to pay top dollar during carnival season.

Planning a visit to Venice in February? Browse our inspirational Italy itineraries to start planning your dream trip.

Souvenirs and carnival masks on street trading in Venice, Italy © Lukasz Janyst/Shutterstock

Visit Venice in February for the masked magnificence of its carnival © Lukasz Janyst/Shutterstock

Air and sea temperatures in Venice in February 

Unsure about what to expect of the weather in Venice in February? The truth is, it will be cold, frosty, and you can expect rain. The average temperature reaches a high of 8°C, and can drop to 1°C. 

It’s not all doom, gloom and chills, though! February brings a 40% chance of sunny days, and a 60% chance of experiencing a mix of sun and cloud. However, you might want to rule out swimming — the sea temperature is at its lowest in February, averaging 8.4°C. 

Fixed on taking a trip in February? Discover more of the best places to visit in February.

Venice in snow with gondolas on St. Mark square, snowing in Venice © Shutterstock

Wondering about the weather in Venice in February? Expect chills! © Shutterstock

Is it cold in Venice in February? 

From our snapshot of temperatures and what to expect of the weather in Venice in February, you’ll be aware that the city is cold during this month. But don’t let that curb your enthusiasm. If you come prepared with clothes to wrap up warm in, visiting Venice in February offers a distinctly special ambience — the magic of mists, fog and frost. What’s more, carnival festivities are sure to warm your cockles on even the coldest of days! 

For more info, read up on the weather in Italy in February, and when to go to Italy.

St Mark's Square from the Grand canal. Venice, Italy © volkova natalia/Shutterstock

St Mark's Square from the Grand Canal. Venice, Italy © volkova natalia/Shutterstock

Unforgettable, fully customisable Venice itineraries 

If you’re looking to banish midwinter-blues, browse our immersive Italy itineraries, some of which have Venice at their heart. 

With a local expert on hand to share insights, and take the hassle out of planning and booking, the following itineraries — like all Rough Guides trips — can be tailored to your exact needs. 

  • Romantic Venice: being Valentine’s month, our Romantic Venice trip might just be the ticket for an unforgettable February trip! It includes a gondola ride, an immersive walking tour, and free time to eat, drink and be very merry. All of which adds up to a wonderful weekend break you’ll be talking about for years to come. 
  • Treasures of Italy: to experience some of Italy’s top attractions in a week, our Treasures of Italy trip comes highly recommended. It includes Venice, Florence and Rome, with a rewarding mix of cultural experiences that can be tailored to your needs. 
  • Grand Tour of Northern Italy: if you’re looking for a longer trip, check out our Grand Tour of Northern Italy itinerary. Taking in a tonne of Italian attractions in around two weeks, this will see you transported from Venice’s captivating canals to Florence’s Renaissance elegance, via Milan’s medieval majesty.
Gondolas in Venice © Shutterstock

Venice, Italy © Shutterstock

What to do in Venice in February

The weather in Venice in February, might not be very inviting, That doesn't mean there's nothing to do in February. When you visit Venice, it goes without saying that you won’t want to miss seeing the city’s top attractions, among them Basilica di San Marco —  an amazing sight with 4000 square metres of golden mosaics.  

Love art? Add the Accademia to your list, pronto! With masterpieces by Titian, Bellini, Veronese and Tintoretto, this is the world’s best collection of Venetian painting. Meanwhile, for contemporary art, visit Punta della Dogana, which has the best collection of its kind in Europe.

Venice Carnival 

As for what to do in Venice in February, specifically, the city’s celebrated Carnevale presents countless opportunities to see circus shows, street performances and parades. Spanning the ten days leading up to Lent to Shrove Tuesday, festivities culminate with Venice’s glitterati attending an extravagant masked ball. At the same time, everyone else dances in the street! 

Through the whole period, Carnevale is an endless parade — during the day people don costumes and strut their stuff on piazzas. Even business types do their shopping in the classic white mask, black cloak and tricorn hat.  

Special mask and costume shops magically appear during Carnevale. Our tip: head to Campo San Maurizio for mask-making demonstrations and to take your pick from hundreds of amazing designs.

Venice carnival © Calin Stan/Shutterstock

Venice carnival © Calin Stan/Shutterstock

Inspired to visit Venice? Read The Rough Guide to Venice and the Veneto to help you plan your trip, and make the most of your time there. Or, if you'd prefer to forgoe the hassle of planinng and booking, contact our Italy travel experts to create your dream trip.

Joanne Owen

written by
Joanne Owen

updated 07.08.2023

Joanne is a Pembrokeshire-born writer with a passion for the nature, cultures and histories of the Caribbean region, especially Dominica. Also passionate about inspiring a love of adventure in young people, she’s the author of several books for children and young adults, hosts international writing workshops, and has written articles on the Caribbean and inspirational community initiatives for Rough Guides. Follow her @JoanneOwen on Twitter and @joanneowenwrites on Instagram.

Planning your own trip? Prepare for your trip

Use Rough Guides' trusted partners for great rates

Ready to travel and discover
Italy?

Get support from our local experts for
stress-free planning & worry-free travels

Plan my trip ⤍