We've all been dreaming of travelling for a long time now, but as restrictions finally start to ease and the world reopens, planning your first post-pandemic trip can feel overwhelming. It can be hard to know where to start. How do you turn travel daydreams into reality? That’s where The Rough Guide to Summer 2021 comes in. The Rough Guide to Summer 2021 is our first print magazine edition - a must-read collection of travel ideas to help you plan unforgettable trips, this year and beyond.
You can download the magazine here, and you'll also find links to all the articles below, with lots of handy additional information. Some of the ideas you'll find here can be turned into trips right away, especially now that the UK has scrapped quarantine for amber list countries. Others will plant the seeds of inspiration for planning a trip when border restrictions allow, and some may even open your eyes to a new way of thinking about travel.
Beauty of Britain: Rural Herefordshire © Andrew Roland/Shutterstock
Whether it’s a new desire to go slowly, savouring what makes each destination special (and different to being at home!), or the hunger to discover places that are completely different to everything you’ve experienced before, our perspective on what it means to travel has shifted.
The Rough Guide to Summer 2021 captures all of this in a series of diverse articles (find them all below), covering a range of central and southern European destinations, a fascinating Deep South American state, and of course, lots of city and countryside break inspiration in the UK. They are all tied together by the belief that we can find a more sustainable way to travel. As we begin to spread our wings again - with a renewed appreciation for the power of travel - this is a great place to start.
Where will summer 2021 take you?
The scenic cityscape of Lausanne, Switzerland © Keitma/Shutterstock
UK summer breaks
- Love Leeds for longer: Head to Leeds for a fabulous mini-break combining exciting culture with dining and drinking options galore
- Leeds - the foodie capital of the North: Tuck into street food from all corners of the world in Kirkgate Market or go all out with Michelin-dining at the Japanese restaurant Issho. Plus, continue reading to discover the city’s exclusive dine-and-discover deal!
- Culture around every corner in Leeds: From centuries-old theatres to family-friendly museums, the city is a treat for culture vultures in all forms – families, couples and groups will revel in Leeds' unique culture.
- Discover more about England's glorious North and find out why Manchester is the UK's new cultural hotspot.
A Northern gem: Whitby harbour in North Yorkshire © Lukasz Pajor/Shutterstock
- Discover Herefordshire: Located on the Welsh border, the English county of Herefordshire is a countryside-lover’s dream. With riverside trails, sleepy market towns and rolling green hills, there’s plenty of reasons why this green county is worth a visit.
- Unexpected things to do in Herefordshire: Head out on a llama trek, or have a go at making your own swords, gin or pottery. Herefordshire might surprise you.
A pretty cottage overlooking a stream in Eardisland, Herefordshire © Caron Badkin/Shutterstock
The Great West Way
The splendour of Bath © ThinAir/Shutterstock
The historic medieval city centre of Bern © MrinaD_37/Shutterstock
World Heritage Sites in Germany
The Czech Republic
Prague's delightful Old Town @ Ihor Pasternak/Shutterstock
The mountain village of Tejeda in Gran Canaria © kelifamily/Shutterstock
- The Algarve all year round: Portugal’s Algarve is renowned for its stunning beaches and captivating golf courses, but there’s more than meets the eye – and the high season. Whatever time of year you visit, you can go street art spotting in Olhão or bird-watching in the Sapal de Castro Marim Nature Reserve, and more.
- Beach lover? Don't miss Portugal's best beaches
- Explore beyond the Algarve and discover the best places to visit in Portugal
The beautiful coastline of the Algarve © C Duarte
The colourful Mardi Gras carnival in Alabama © EQRoy/shutterstock
If you've enjoyed these travel ideas and would like them in one easy-to-read magazine, download our magazine, The Rough Guide to Summer 2021.
Top image: Canoeing on the River Wye in Symonds Yat © Ceri Breeze/Shutterstock