• Greece has about 14,400km of coastline, the tenth longest in the world.
• Out of a total population of 10.7 million, 4 percent are immigrants (mostly from Albania). There are also large Greek communities in the US, UK and Australia (Melbourne is the third-largest “Greek” city).
• With over 370 brands, anise-flavoured ouzo is country’s most famous and popular beverage. Come the evening, the Greeks sip it with a little ice and water while tucking into mezédhes. Stin uyeia sou!
• Tourism is the country’s main foreign-currency earner, with up to ten million visitors from overseas in a good year; export of agricultural products – especially olive oil and olives, citrus, wine and raisins – is another key industry.
• Easter is the biggest date on the calendar. Instead of chocolate eggs, locals exchange hard-boiled ones painted red.
Everything you need to know before you set off.
Travel offers; book through Rough Guides
Planning your trip to Greece
Everything you need to plan where to go and what to do.
The latest articles, galleries, quizzes and videos.
19 places to get utterly lost
One of the great joys of travelling is stumbling across unexpected places, wandering without a single destination in mind and embracing the journey. These place…
11 tips for travelling in Greece
Although the news has been full of negative stories about the financial and immigrant crises which have engulfed Greece in recent years, there are still many r…
A divided island: a journey through time in Cyprus
Cyprus has been a divided nation for over 40 years, but fresh reunification talks have offered hope of a united future. As Cyprus prepares to make history aga…