• Greece has about 14,400km of coastline, the tenth longest in the world.
• Out of a total population of 10.7 million, 4 percent are immigrants (mostly from Albania). There are also large Greek communities in the US, UK and Australia (Melbourne is the third-largest “Greek” city).
• With over 370 brands, anise-flavoured ouzo is country’s most famous and popular beverage. Come the evening, the Greeks sip it with a little ice and water while tucking into mezédhes. Stin uyeia sou!
• Tourism is the country’s main foreign-currency earner, with up to ten million visitors from overseas in a good year; export of agricultural products – especially olive oil and olives, citrus, wine and raisins – is another key industry.
• Easter is the biggest date on the calendar. Instead of chocolate eggs, locals exchange hard-boiled ones painted red.
Everything you need to know before you set off.
Travel offers; book through Rough Guides
Planning your trip to Greece
Everything you need to plan where to go and what to do.
The latest articles, galleries, quizzes and videos.
11 tips for travelling in Greece
Although the news has been full of negative stories about the financial and immigrant crises which have engulfed Greece in recent years, there are still many r…06 May 2016 • Nick Edwards insert_drive_file Article
Greek food: 11 delicious dishes you need to try
Greeks love their food. They love to eat and love to feed others; this is one place you’re guaranteed never to feel hungry. Unlike the typical British or Amer…15 Mar 2016 • Esme Fox insert_drive_file Article
This summer you can hire a sandcastle butler
You’ve dug a moat, successfully sculpted a mound higher than your knees and managed to drizzle a viscous mixture of sand and salt water over the château spir…16 Jul 2015 • Colt St. George insert_drive_file Article