March is considered one of the best times to visit Costa Rica as it falls in the dry season. The average temperature in Costa Rica during March is around 28°C (82°F) in coastal areas and 22°C (72°F) in higher elevations. The weather in Costa Rica in March will be sunny and hot, although it can vary by region.
What is the weather like in Costa Rica in March?
In Costa Rica, March is generally considered to be part of the dry season, also known as the "summer" season. The weather during this time tends to be hot and sunny in most regions, with minimal rainfall.
You can expect warm temperatures throughout the country, typically ranging from the mid-70s to mid-90s Fahrenheit (mid-20s to low 30s Celsius). Rainfall is relatively low in most parts of Costa Rica during March, but there can still be some regional variations. The Caribbean coast, including areas like Puerto Limón and Tortuguero, tends to receive more rainfall throughout the year.
Overall, March is a popular time to visit Costa Rica due to its pleasant weather. It's a great opportunity to explore the country's diverse landscapes, indulge in outdoor activities, and visit popular tourist destinations.
Is Costa Rica warm in March?
Rough Guides tip: a trip to Costa Rica is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Do you want to get the best out of your trip? Connect with our local experts.
Is March a good time to visit Costa Rica?
March is characterised by sunshine, low humidity, and warm temperatures. It is a good time to explore some of Costa Rica’s rich botanical life, including places like the Botanical Orchid Garden just beyond La Garita, or Jardín Botánico Lankester, southeast of Cartago. Between them they are home to some 150 orchid species, half of them native, and they are awash with colour as the flowers bloom from January to March.
Also in March, Guanacaste’s many flowering trees flower literally overnight and then, just as suddenly, shed their petals to the ground, covering it in a carpet of confetti colours. The corteza amarilla bursts into a wild Van Gogh-like blaze in March.
On this tailor-made Costa Rica Express trip, you will start with Arenal volcano with its waterfalls, hot springs and hanging bridges before crossing the lake to Monteverde. The unique cloud forest invites both adventure and nature lovers for canopy and zip-lining activities as well as wildlife spotting. Finish the trip on the beach in Manuel Antonio.
What is the average rainfall in March in Costa Rica?
On average, the total rainfall in Costa Rica in March is around 30-50mm (1-2 inches), which is significantly lower than other months of the year, as the month falls within the country's dry season (December to April).
Festivals and events in Costa Rica in March
There are several festivals and events that take place in Costa Rica during the month of March. Here are some of them:
- Día de los Boyeros (Day of the Drover): This parade of handmade and painted oxcarts and driving competitions takes place on the second Sunday in March in San Antonio de Escazú.
- Día de San José (19 March): Honouring the patron saint of Costa Rica’s capital, San José (Saint John), special masses are held throughout the country.
Ready for your dream trip to Costa Rica in March?
Our tailor-made trip service allows you to go on the trip of your dreams without the planning or hassle. All of our planned itineraries are created by local travel experts and can be tailored to meet your specific needs.
- Costa Rica Eco Adventure (12 days): Come to Costa Rica for its compact jungle, tropical beaches, forests, wildlife and national parks. The country may be small but it’s a land of stunning natural diversity and the perfect backdrop to a veritable eco-adventure.
- Discover Northern Costa Rica (10 days): Unveil the Central and Northern highlights of Costa Rica on this self-drive adventure. Witness the might of Arenal, the active volcano, wander through the enchanting cloud forest of Monteverde, and relish the surf and yoga on the pristine beaches of Guanacaste.
- Or discover more Costa Rica itineraries.