The following itineraries will give you a taste of everything that’s addictive about Indonesia. From the bustling streets of Jakarta to the serene beaches of Maluku, Indonesia offers an array of unforgettable experiences for every traveller. Whether you seek thrilling adventures through lush rainforests, encounters with exotic wildlife, or the tranquillity of spiritual retreats, the best Indonesia itineraries promise to immerse you in a world of natural beauty and cultural wonders. Embark on a journey filled with rich history, mouthwatering cuisine, and warm hospitality as you uncover the treasures of this tropical paradise. Let us guide you through the top itineraries that will help you make the most of your Indonesian adventure.
Recommended Indonesia itinerariesIndonesia is a land of stunning natural beauty, boasting pristine beaches, lush rainforests, active volcanoes, and breathtaking rice terraces. It also offers unparalleled opportunities for adventure. You can go trekking in the lush jungles of Sumatra, scuba diving in the pristine waters of Raja Ampat, or embark on thrilling wildlife encounters in places like Komodo National Park. Surfing enthusiasts will find world-class breaks in Bali and Lombok, while food lovers can indulge in a tantalizing array of flavours from the diverse Indonesian cuisine.
If you are planning your travel to Indonesia by yourself, check out these itineraries created by our travel writers as a starting point for inspiration. Or check out the best beaches in Indonesia, find out when to go or read all about the best temples to visit in Bali.
Indonesia Itinerary 1 - Wildlife and Nature Exploration - 3 weeksIndonesia is a country known for its rich biodiversity and stunning natural landscapes. To fully experience the wildlife and natural wonders, it is recommended to spend at least three weeks exploring the following destinations:
- Bali Barat National Park: Conclude your journey by exploring Bali Barat National Park, located on the northwest coast of Bali. This park offers a mix of terrestrial and marine environments, with opportunities to spot Bali starlings, deer, macaques, and snorkel among vibrant coral reefs.
- Komodo National Park: Visit the famous Komodo National Park, home to the legendary Komodo dragons, the world's largest lizards. Explore the park's islands, hike through rugged terrain, and witness these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat.
- Bunaken Marine National Park: Bunaken, located on Sulawesi, is an excellent staging point for diving and snorkelling trips to Bunaken Marine National Park, 15km (10 miles) offshore. The coral reefs teem with thousands of species of colourful tropical fish along steep drop-offs that plunge thousands of metres into the abyss.
- Tanjung Puting National Park: Travel to Central Kalimantan on the island of Borneo to discover Tanjung Puting National Park. Take a boat trip along the river and observe wild orangutans swinging through the trees. This park is also home to proboscis monkeys, gibbons, and a variety of bird species.
- Gunung Leuser National Park: Head to Sumatra and explore Gunung Leuser National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Trek through lush rainforests, keeping an eye out for endangered Sumatran orangutans, tigers, elephants, and other unique wildlife species.
- Mount Bromo and Ijen Crater: Embark on a breathtaking adventure to Mount Bromo and Ijen Crater in East Java. Witness the dramatic sunrise over Mount Bromo's otherworldly landscape and hike to the ethereal blue flames of Ijen Crater, where sulfur miners extract the mineral.
- Ubud: Explore the artistic and cultural hub of Ubud, visit ancient temples, and experience the enchanting Monkey Forest. Embark on a cycling or trekking tour through picturesque rice terraces and traditional craft villages. Discover the beauty of Tegenungan Waterfall and catch a mesmerizing Balinese dance performance.
- Nusa Penida: Hop on a short boat ride to Nusa Penida and prepare to be awed by its stunning landscapes. Marvel at the famous Kelingking Beach, Angel's Billabong, Broken Beach, and Crystal Bay. Snorkel or dive in crystal-clear waters teeming with marine life, including graceful manta rays.
- Gili Islands: Take a fast boat from Bali to the Gili Islands and unwind on pristine white sandy beaches. Indulge in snorkeling or diving adventures amidst vibrant coral reefs and swim with gentle sea turtles. Experience the laid-back island atmosphere, relish delectable seafood, and capture breathtaking sunsets.
- South Lombok: Explore the beautiful beaches of South Lombok, including the famous Kuta Beach, Tanjung Aan, and Mawun Beach. Engage with the local Sasak culture by visiting traditional villages like Sade and Rambitan. For thrill-seekers, consider a challenging trek to the summit of Mount Rinjani for awe-inspiring panoramic views.
- Senaru: Visit Senaru to witness the breathtaking Sendang Gile and Tiu Kelep Waterfalls amidst lush greenery. Immerse yourself in the natural beauty of Lombok, surrounded by cascading waterfalls and serene landscapes. Spend your days moments in Lombok shopping for souvenirs or unwinding on the beach before departure.