Chiang Mai in November: weather and travel tips

written by Joanne Owen

updated 7.12.2023

If you're considering visiting Chiang Mai in November, you can look forward to spectacular festivals. All the better if you’re hoping to explore the great outdoors, as November heralds the start of a cooler, drier period in Thailand.

Is November a good time to visit Chiang Mai?

Though a year-round destination, November is a good time to visit Chiang Mai, a gem of northern Thailand.

The weather is cooler and drier than during the preceding months. We’re talking warm temperatures that typically range from 17—27°C. That being said, it is the ideal month to book a trip that takes in Chiang Mai’s Sustainable Trails or to enjoy other outdoor activities.

November also heralds the start of the high season in Thailand, so be aware that the crowds are starting to increase, and so too are the prices.

Thinking of visiting Chiang Mai in November? Contact our Thailand local experts or browse our inspirational Thailand itineraries.

Wat phra that doi suthep temple, Chiang Mai, Thailand © Shutterstock

The weather in Chiang Mai in November is cooler than preceding months — ideal for temple tours © Shutterstock

 

Temperatures in Chiang Mai in November

The average temperature in Chiang Mai in November ranges from highs of 30°C to lows of 18°C (64°F - 86°F). It is generally a pleasant time to visit the city as it is the beginning of the cool season.

For comparison, April is the hottest month in Chiang Mai, with daytime highs of 35°C and lows of 22°C.

Not quite sure when you want to go? Find out when is the best time to visit Bali.

Average rainfall in November

The average rainfall in Chiang Mai in November is around 35mm. On any given day, you have a 41% chance of a perfect sunny day and a 59% chance of seeing a mixture of sunshine and clouds.

Note that the chance of experiencing a wet day in November decreases significantly as the month progresses — from  21% to 5%. 

Set on taking a trip this autumn? Discover more of the best places to visit in November.

Wat Phra Singh in Chiang Mai, Thailand. © Shutterstock

Chiang Mai, Thailand © Shutterstock

What about the crowds and cost?

Given that November marks the start of high season in Chiang Mai — and in Thailand  generally —  crowds and costs will be up in the preceding months. 

That said, peak season is December and January, so we’re not talking full-throttle crowds. To bag the best bargains — and experience smaller crowds — consider visiting earlier in the month. 
 

Chiang Mai food © Shutterstock

Chiang Mai is a paradise for foodies at any time of the year © Shutterstock

Unforgettable, fully customisable Chiang Mai itineraries

Longing for a November trip that serves stacks of natural beauty along with unforgettable wildlife and cultural experiences? 

Take inspiration from our customisable Chiang Mai itineraries, with a local Thailand expert on hand to take the hassle out of planning and booking. 

  • Chiang Mai’s Sustainable Trails: offering a beautiful escape from Bangkok’s humidity, Chiang Mai is regarded as the cultural heart of the country. Take this trip to enjoy a magical night ride to ancient temples and bazaars, uncover artisan culture, and embark on an eco-adventure.
  • Chiang Mai Safari Adventure: ideal for family fun and adventure, this will see you explore Chiang Mai’s lush valleys and national parks. Expect majestic cliff-top temples, sprawling national parks and exciting safari adventures.
     

Or discover more Thailand itineraries.

Elephants in Chiang Mai's Elephant Nature Park, Thailand © Shutterstock

Book a safari trip to see incredible wildlife around Chiang Mai © Shutterstock

Tips for travelling to Chiang Mai in November

As you prepare for your trip to Chiang Mai, remember a few important travel tips for visiting Thailand.

What to wear in Chiang Mai in November

Given the average temperatures, you should pack light, cool clothing. That said, it’s best to come prepared with some warmer layers for the cooler days and evenings.

Bear in mind that Chiang Mai in November is only just emerging from the rainy season at this time of the year. This means showers are still likely to ocurr. So, pack a light waterproof jacket, and clothes that are quick to dry.

Book your accommodation in advance

Given that November marks the start of high season in Chiang Mai, it’s advisable to book your accommodation ahead of arrival. The earlier, the better, in our view.

Prepare for key festivals

If you’re planning to visit Chiang Mai in November for the festivals, it’s all the more important to book accommodation early. Also, check the exact dates of celebrations, as they vary from year to year.

If you’re planning to join the Loy Krathong parade, bear in mind it is a long walk that can take a good few hours. Make sure to pack comfy shoes!

Wat phra that doi suthep temple, Chiang Mai, Thailand © Shutterstock

Wat Phra That Doi Suthep temple, Chiang Mai, Thailand © Shutterstock

What to do in Chiang Mai in November

Be enchanted by festivals of light

Also known as the Thai Festivals of Lights, the Yi Peng Festival and Loy Krathong Festival see thousands of lanterns released into the sky to conjure a spectacular display of light. 

In addition, thousands of candles are floated down the Ping River in beautiful little boats adorned with flowers and banana leaves.

Tour the temples

Home to a bounty of beautiful historic temples, you won’t want to miss going on a temple tour of Chiang Mai. 

Come November, you’re in for an extra-special treat as many temples are decorated with flowers and lanterns for the Yi Peng Festival.

Enjoy jungle treks

Being a cooler month, November is the perfect time to go on a trek. Home to many wildlife-rich, stunningly scenic jungles — for example, one of the best treks in Thailand kicks off in Chiang Mai — lovers of the great outdoors won’t want to miss exploring the region’s wilder side.

Planning your November trip to Chiang Mai

Inspired? Find out more in our guide to the best things to do in Chiang Mai

Browse our customisable Thailand itineraries, and contact our Thailand local experts to save yourself the hassle of planning.

Prefer to do it on your own? Get yourself a copy of The Rough Guide to Thailand and make sure to read all our tips for backpacking Thailand

Joanne Owen

written by Joanne Owen

updated 7.12.2023

Joanne is a Pembrokeshire-born writer with a passion for the nature, cultures and histories of the Caribbean region, especially Dominica. Also passionate about inspiring a love of adventure in young people, she’s the author of several books for children and young adults, hosts international writing workshops, and has written articles on the Caribbean and inspirational community initiatives for Rough Guides. Follow her @JoanneOwen on Twitter and @joanneowenwrites on Instagram.

Planning your own trip? Prepare for your trip

Use Rough Guides' trusted partners for great rates

Ready to travel and discover
Thailand?

Get support from our local experts for
stress-free planning & worry-free travels

Plan my trip ⤍