• Though Chile lives and breathes football, the national team has not had much luck against its mightier neighbour, Argentina. The first ever win over its rivals in 2008 was a cause for national jubilation.
• 17.2 million people live in Chile, consisting of a fairly homogenous mestizo population with a few indigenous groups: Mapuche in the Lake District (around 650,000), Aymara in the far north (around 54,000), Easter Island’s Rapa Nui (around 4300), Yámana (around 1800) and Kawéskar (around 2800) in Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego.
• Chile’s motto is ‘Por la razón o la fuerza’ meaning ‘By right or by might’.
• One of the most developed countries in Latin America, Chile has the steadiest growth in the region and the lowest level of corruption in Latin America.
• In the longest recorded dry spell in Chile’s Atacama Desert, it didn’t rain for over 40 years.
• Chile only legalized divorce in 2004.
• Although notorious for the Pinochet’s infamous military dictatorship during the 1970s and 1980s, Chile otherwise has a long history of parliamentary democracy.
Everything you need to know before you set off.
Travel offers; book through Rough Guides
Planning your trip to Chile
Everything you need to plan where to go and what to do.
The latest articles, galleries, quizzes and videos.
15 things everyone learns backpacking South America
South America has become a favoured destination for the intrepid backpacker, and while it’s impressive in the astounding diversity of its nations, there are a…02 Mar 2016 • Steph Dyson insert_drive_file Article
Quiz: can you locate these national parks?
National parks are some of the world's most awe-inspiring natural places, taking in mountains, glaciers, waterfalls and forests (sometimes all in the same one…02 Jul 2015 • Rebecca Hallett help Quiz
Off the map in the Atacama: Chile's eerie ghost towns
Thousands of foreign travellers visit the geysers, salt flats, oases and volcanoes of north Chile’s Atacama Desert, but few make it to two of the region’s m…14 Jan 2015 • Shafik Meghji insert_drive_file Article