• With an area of just over 7.5 million square kilometres, Australia is the sixth-largest country in the world.
• Australia’s population is estimated at just over 22 million, of whom some 85 percent live in urban areas. About 92 percent are of European origin, two percent Aboriginal, and around six percent Asian and Middle Eastern.
• Much of Australia is arid and flat. One-third is desert and another third steppe or semi-desert. Only six percent of the country rises above 600m in elevation, and its tallest peak, Mount Kosciuszko, is just 2228m high.
• Australia’s main exports are minerals, metals, fossil fuels, cotton, wool, wine and beef, and its most important trading partners are Japan, China and the USA.
• At 5614km the dingo fence is the longest in the world, stretching from Jimbour to the cliffs of the Nullarbor Plain. It’s around twice the length of the Great Wall of China.
• Australia ranks proudly ranks second in the Human Development Index, which measures a country’s progress by its life expectancy, education and income. Norway comes first.
• Around 22 percent of Australians are descended from convicts.
Everything you need to know before you set off.
Travel offers; book through Rough Guides
Planning your trip to Australia
Everything you need to plan where to go and what to do.
The latest articles, galleries, quizzes and videos.
26 awe-inspiring architectural wonders
From ancient temples to hyper-modern skyscrapers, these are just a few of the world's most incredible architectural wonders. Whether you're looking to wander l…01 Feb 2017 • Rough Guides Editors camera_alt Gallery
Solo travel in Australia: everything you need to know
Australia remains a classic travel destination. A steady stream of gap-year backpackers, career breakers and round-the-world-trippers head down under to sample …22 Nov 2016 • Shafik Meghji insert_drive_file Article
Road trip Australia: 6 of the best routes
Pack your stuff, throw it in a camper van along with a surfboard and don’t look back… This might be an old cliché but it’s one for good reason: Australia…18 Oct 2016 • Ros Walford insert_drive_file Article