• The Republic of India, whose capital is Delhi, is bordered by Afghanistan, China, Nepal and Bhutan to the north, Bangladesh and Myanmar (Burma) to the east and Pakistan to the west.
• It’s the seventh largest country in the world, covering more than three million square kilometres, and is second only to China in terms of population, at more than 1.22 billion. Hindus comprise eighty percent of the population, Muslims 13 percent, and there are millions of Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists and Jains. Twenty-three official languages are spoken, along with more than a thousand minor languages and dialects. Hindi is the language of more than forty percent of the population; English is also widely spoken.
• The caste system is pervasive and, although integral to Hindu belief, it also encompasses non-Hindus. It holds special sway in rural areas and may dictate where a person lives and what their occupation is.
• Eighty-two percent of males are literate, compared to 65 percent of females: 74 percent of the total population.
• India now boasts more than 400,000 millionaires, with a combined net worth of nearly US$2.5 billion.
• Indian Railways is the largest employer on the planet, with around one million workers.
• Producing 1100 movies each year and turning over US$4 billion dollars, India’s film industry is the largest in the world, in terms of ticket numbers if not box office receipts.
Everything you need to know before you set off.
Travel offers; book through Rough Guides
Planning your trip to India
Everything you need to plan where to go and what to do.
The latest articles, galleries, quizzes and videos.
In pictures: the little-visited treasures of South India
After a week-long whistle-stop tour of central India's least-visited attractions, travel writer and photographer Lottie Gross shares her favourite photos. In…07 Mar 2017 • Lottie Gross insert_drive_file Article
Indian trains: a traveller's survival guide
The Himalayan Queen, the Grand Trunk Express, the Deccan Odyssey… the very names of India’s trains are evocative of timeless style and old-school adventure…09 Feb 2017 • Freya Godfrey insert_drive_file Article
26 awe-inspiring architectural wonders
From ancient temples to hyper-modern skyscrapers, these are just a few of the world's most incredible architectural wonders. Whether you're looking to wander l…01 Feb 2017 • Rough Guides Editors camera_alt Gallery