• The Republic of India, whose capital is Delhi, is bordered by Afghanistan, China, Nepal and Bhutan to the north, Bangladesh and Myanmar (Burma) to the east and Pakistan to the west.
• It’s the seventh largest country in the world, covering more than three million square kilometres, and is second only to China in terms of population, at more than 1.22 billion. Hindus comprise eighty percent of the population, Muslims 13 percent, and there are millions of Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists and Jains. Twenty-three official languages are spoken, along with more than a thousand minor languages and dialects. Hindi is the language of more than forty percent of the population; English is also widely spoken.
• The caste system is pervasive and, although integral to Hindu belief, it also encompasses non-Hindus. It holds special sway in rural areas and may dictate where a person lives and what their occupation is.
• Eighty-two percent of males are literate, compared to 65 percent of females: 74 percent of the total population.
• India now boasts more than 400,000 millionaires, with a combined net worth of nearly US$2.5 billion.
• Indian Railways is the largest employer on the planet, with around one million workers.
• Producing 1100 movies each year and turning over US$4 billion dollars, India’s film industry is the largest in the world, in terms of ticket numbers if not box office receipts.
Everything you need to know before you set off.
Travel offers; book through Rough Guides
Planning your trip to India
Everything you need to plan where to go and what to do.
The latest articles, galleries, quizzes and videos.
25 years and 10 editions: The Rough Guide to India over the years
It's 25 years since an adventurous quartet of Rough Guides authors set off for the Subcontinent to begin work on researching the inaugural instalment of The Rou…30 Nov 2016 • Edward Aves insert_drive_file Article
The most romantic places in India
India has to be one of the world's most romantic destinations. Its beguiling mix of ancient forts, pretty palaces, shimmering lakes and gorgeous beaches is boun…25 Nov 2016 • Freya Godfrey camera_alt Gallery
13 tips for backpacking India
Whether you’re hurtling along in a rickshaw, eating fantastic curries, kicking back on the backwaters or hiking in the mountains, backpacking India will alwa…23 Nov 2016 • Helen Abramson insert_drive_file Article