• Fiji is made up of 333 islands and many tiny islets. Two thirds of Fiji’s islands remain uninhabited.
• The name Fiji is an adaptation of the Tongan pronunciation of “Viti”, originally written by Europeans as “Feejee”.
• Only four of Fiji’s 27 airports have paved runways.
• Of a total population of nearly 875,000, around 512,000 are ethnic Fijians, 290,000 Fiji-Indians and the remainder Chinese, Europeans and various Pacific islanders.
• At New Year on the islands, women play a game called veicaqe moli – “kick the orange”. The winners have to give new clothes to the losers, and the losers’ job is to serve the victors yaqona.
• Around a fifth of ethnic Fijians live a mostly subsistence lifestyle on tribally owned native land (87 percent of all land in the country).
Everything you need to know before you set off.
Travel offers; book through Rough Guides
Planning your trip to Fiji
Everything you need to plan where to go and what to do.
The latest articles, galleries, quizzes and videos.
Island paradise: the best resorts in Fiji
Fiji is about as close to paradise as you can get. This South Pacific archipelago, over three hundred islands lying around 2000km east of Australia, has some of…29 Dec 2014 • Helena Smith insert_drive_file Article
10 of the best GoPro videos
Since GoPro was founded in 2004, they’ve inspired photographers to capture the world from a new angle. Today there’s a huge range of small and versatile wa…03 Oct 2014 • Eleanor Aldridge insert_drive_file Article
The friendliest countries in the world
Whether it’s a smile exchanged with a stranger, a quick chat with a tuk-tuk driver or a night out on the town with a group of newly made friends, interactions…30 Sep 2014 • Rough Guides Editors videocam Video