Would you like to have your travel photography judged by a legend of the form? And the opportunity to see it published in a beautifully designed photobook?
To celebrate Rough Guides readers’ intrepid travels, we’re inviting you to submit your best photos for a chance to be featured in our exciting new travel photography book. The winning entry will appear on the jacket, while around 300 other entrants will also see their work featured.
First prize – As well as having their photograph featured on the jacket, the winning entrant will receive £2000 (US$2440) of eDreams vouchers and a Rough Guide to a destination of their choosing.
Second prize – The second-place image will appear on the title page (p.1) and receive £650 (US$795) of eDreams vouchers, plus a Rough Guide.
Third prize – The third-place image will appear on one of pages 2–4, receive £350 (US$430) of eDreams vouchers and a Rough Guide.
Twenty runners-up will receive a Rough Guide to a destination of their choice.
As one of the world’s leading online travel agencies, eDreams offers travellers over 155,000 flight routes from more than 450 airlines, and 1.1 million hotels in 40,000 destinations. They develop and use cutting-edge tools to search millions of flight and hotel combinations, ensuring customers get the best price and greatest convenience.
The images will be judged by a panel composed of the following:
- Martin Parr, celebrated Magnum photographer and photobook collector
- Benji Lanyado, Guardian journalist and founder of image marketplace Picfair
- Travel Instagrammer, Gabriela Mateus (@gmateus)
- Bea Carvalho, Waterstones’ photography book specialist
- Phoebe Lowndes, senior picture editor at Rough Guides
To enter the photobook competition, please follow these instructions:
- Email us a maximum of five images to [email protected] by 23.59 (BST) on Monday 24 April 2017
- Use the subject line “RG photobook”
- Email each image as a JPEG, and to the highest quality your camera or smartphone can achieve
- If your file is too large to attach to an email, please resize or – as a last resort – send via WeTransfer, remembering to include all the requested info in the ‘Message’ field
- Images can be square, portrait or landscape; both colour and black & white images are welcome
- If you need to send more than one email due to the file size of the image/s, that’s fine
- Also included in the email should be your name, Instagram handle if you have one, age, country of residence and your preferred contact email address
- If possible, we’d also love for you to include ‘the story behind the shot’ in a maximum of 50 words. If you send more than one image, you can write up to 50 words on either one of your images or on your images as a group. All or part of this text may feature in the book alongside your image/s
- If you want to get your entry in front of thousands of eyes, post it to Instagram and/or Twitter using #RGphotobook – we’ll share a selection to all our followers
- This competition is open to both amateur and professional photographers
- We’d love to open the competition to everyone but, for legal reasons, only residents of the UK, Republic of Ireland, South Africa, India, Australia, New Zealand, Canada (excluding Québec) and the USA may enter
- A selection of shortlisted images will be published on RoughGuides.com in May 2017, and the winner and runners-up will be announced in due course
- See the terms and conditions for more information
What we are looking for
We welcome everything from classic travel images taken oh-so-carefully using a tripod to shot-from-the-hip chance encounters snapped on your phone. And if you have any photos printed from film that you’d like to scan and submit (as JPEGs), go for it – the more variety the merrier. The most important thing is that the photograph has personality (which does not equal filters). We’re looking for images that are as unique to the person who took them as to the place they depict. And don’t forget that travel is all about human interaction – we’d love to see people in your images, but please make sure you have their permission.
Book your trip with Rough Guides
Tailor-made travel planned by local experts
At Rough Guides, we understand that experienced travellers want to get truly off-the-beaten-track. That’s why we’ve partnered with local experts to help you plan and book tailor-made trips that are packed with personality and stimulating adventure - at all levels of comfort. If you love planning, but find arranging the logistics exhausting, you’re in the right place.Learn Morechevron_right