- Ecuador is around 285,000 square kilometres in area – roughly equivalent to the US state of Nevada, or the United Kingdom combined with Belgium.
- Spanish is the official language of Ecuador, but there are more than twenty other native tongues, including several dialects of Kichwa, the language of the Inca Empire.
- The majority of Ecuador’s 14.5 million people are mestizos (mixed spanish and indigenous blood), a quarter are indigenous people from more than a dozen native groups, seven percent are white, mainly of Spanish extraction, and three percent are black.
- The Spanish first established the boundaries of what roughly now corresponds to Ecuador in 1563. It became an independent republic in 1830, when it was officially named after the equator, which passes through it. Voting is compulsory for any literate person aged between 18 and 65, and optional for other eligible citizens.
- Ecuador’s main exports are petroleum products, bananas, coffee, cacao, cut flowers and shrimp. Despite its large oil reserves and rich farmland, the economy is often severely affected by fluctuations in world commodity prices and around 38 percent of its people live below the poverty line.
Everything you need to know before you set off.
Travel offers; book through Rough Guides
Planning your trip to Ecuador
Everything you need to plan where to go and what to do.
The latest articles, galleries, quizzes and videos.
15 things everyone learns backpacking South America
South America has become a favoured destination for the intrepid backpacker, and while it’s impressive in the astounding diversity of its nations, there are a…02 Mar 2016 • Steph Dyson insert_drive_file Article
19 places for a digital detox
Find peace at Buddhist monastery, Nepal Trim out the religious and/or mystical connotations and Buddhism boils down to something quite simple – brain trainin…14 Nov 2014 • Neil McQuillian camera_alt Gallery
Things to do in Ecuador beyond the Galápagos
There's so much more to Ecuador than just the Galápagos. Chitra Ramaswamy went on her own voyage of discovery to find the best things to do in Ecuador, beyond …07 Nov 2014 • Chitra Ramaswamy insert_drive_file Article