• Ireland’s landmass has a total area of 84,412 square kilometres, with its coastline stretching for 3152km. Its longest river is the Shannon (358km), largest lake Lough Neagh (387 square kilometres) and its highest point is Carrauntoohil in Kerry (1038m).
• Since 1921 the country has been divided into what’s now called the Republic of Ireland, consisting of 26 counties, and Northern Ireland, subject to devolved British rule, which comprises six counties.
• The Republic’s population is roughly 4.4 million, with 1.7 million residing in the Greater Dublin area, while Northern Ireland’s population is approximately 1.8 million, with some 650,000 occupying the Greater Belfast area.
• The UK’s 2001 Census reported that 44 percent of Northern Ireland’s population is from a Catholic background and 53 percent from a Protestant background, while the Republic’s 2006 Census revealed that 88 percent of its population is Catholic.
• Irish is the national language of the Republic, according to the constitution, with English recognized as a second official language. However, only around fifteen percent of the population has a good competence in Irish.
Everything you need to know before you set off.
Travel offers; book through Rough Guides
Planning your trip to Ireland
Everything you need to plan where to go and what to do.
The latest articles, galleries, quizzes and videos.
6 of the best road trips in the UK
There is something about a road trip that creates an endless state of heightened excitement. It comes with a heart-in-mouth, funfair-like thrill. And no matter …11 Apr 2017 • Mike MacEacheran insert_drive_file Article
In pictures: 12 reasons why you should visit Ireland
With its remote beauty, rugged landscapes and windswept coastlines, Ireland is a photographer's dream. Philip Joyce shares some of his favourite pictures of…17 Mar 2017 • Philip Joyce insert_drive_file Article
8 great alternative UK city breaks
London, Edinburgh, Cardiff… These are the usual suspects when visitors are thinking about UK city breaks. But there are actually 66 other cities to be explore…22 Feb 2017 • Greg Dickinson insert_drive_file Article