As Avenida Central emerges onto Plaza Cinco de Mayo, the pedestrianized section ends and the maelstrom of traffic takes over again. The plaza is actually two squares rolled into one. The first has a small monument to the volunteer firemen killed while fighting an exploded gunpowder magazine in 1914; bomberos occupy a revered position in a city that has so often been devastated by fire. To the south of the plaza stands a forlorn Neoclassical building that was once the Panama Railroad Pacific terminal. The second square, Plaza Cinco de Mayo proper, borders the legislative palace compound, identifiable by a black, monolithic monument.