• With an area of 580,400 square kilometres, Kenya is about two and a half times the size of the UK and nearly one and a half times the size of California. The population, which for many years had a growth rate higher than that of any other country, is now beginning to stabilize and currently stands at around 44 million.
• Kenya regained independence in 1963 after nearly eighty years of British occupation and colonial rule. The Republic of Kenya is a multiparty democracy with more than fifty registered political parties.
• With few mineral resources (though potentially viable oil reserves were confirmed recently), most of the foreign currency Kenya needs for vital imports is earned from coffee and tea exports, and tourism. Most Kenyans scrape a living through subsistence agriculture and remittances from one or two family members in paid employment.
• Kenyan society consists of a huge, impoverished underclass, a small but growing middle class and a tiny elite whose success often owes much to nepotism and bribery. Unbridled corruption percolates every corner of the country and affects every aspect of the economy.
• More positively, more than 93 percent of Kenyans have a mobile phone, an exceptionally high figure for a developing country. The mobile money service M-Pesa, allowing anyone with a mobile phone to send money to another phone user, is one of the most advanced in the world, and has transformed the lives of many poor Kenyans working far away from their families.
Everything you need to know before you set off.
Travel offers; book through Rough Guides
Planning your trip to Kenya
Everything you need to plan where to go and what to do.
The latest articles, galleries, quizzes and videos.
6 reasons to stay in Nairobi before you head off on safari
Most people coming into Kenya will arrive in Nairobi, but head straight for the country’s vast national parks and beautiful coastline. Stay a little longer in…23 Aug 2016 • Rough Guides Editors insert_drive_file Article
7 amazing African journeys
Africa is a continent of wild open savannahs, terracotta sunsets, thousands of vibrant green hills and rugged coastlines. Here, you can be chugging along on …06 Jul 2016 • Harriet Constable insert_drive_file Article
23 incredible pictures of Kenya
Beyond the wildlife, Rough Guides photographer Tim Draper took an intrepid trip through Kenya to visit remote tribes and see stunning landscapes. Here, he share…04 Apr 2016 • Tim Draper insert_drive_file Article