Myanmar (Burma) is a beautiful and culturally rich country, but has been cursed for decades with a brutally oppressive regime. Now, following the softening and then removal of the 15-year-long tourism boycott, tourist numbers have swollen. This is a fascinating time to discover Myanmar's temples, rice fields, and mountains, and meet the people eager to introduce foreigners to their country and culture. Taken from the Rough Guides Snapshot Myanmar (Burma) by John Oates, here are six highlights of Myanmar (Burma):
1. Yangon: seek out colonial architecture and join crowds at the country's spiritual heart.
2. Hpa-an: head through rice fields to visit caves and a mountain-top monastery.
3. Bagan: watch the sun set over a plain dotted with thousands of temples.
4. Inle Lake: visit crumbling stupas, traditional markets, workshops and stilt villages.
5. Ayeyarwady River: join locals on a multi-day ferry trip south from Bhamo.
6. Hsipaw: trek through beautiful valleys and sleep in remote ethnic-minority villages.
You can download the The Rough Guide Snapshot Myanmar (Burma) for your device here – only £2.99.