There's something fascinating about doorways. Whether it's the idea of the unknown, the promise of a warm welcome, or simply the frame for a perfect view, something makes us feel compelled to photograph them again and again. From the mesmerizing arches of the Mezquita in Córdoba to ornately carved frames in Tibet, here are 20 of our favourite shots from the Rough Guides archive.
1.Dar el Makhzen, Fez el Jedid, Morocco
2. Colourful temple doorway at Jogyesa Temple, Seoul, South Korea
3. A blue doorway on a cobbled street in Sidi Bou Said, Tunisia
7. A girl entering house in Stone Town, Zanzibar
11. A door in the old town of Brandenburg an der Havel, Germany
12. Frescoes on the facade of St Michael's church in Riva Valdobbia, Italy
14. Mosque entrance in Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina
15. An ornate doorway in the Alcobaca Monastery, Portugal
17. A traditional Swahili door in Pangani, Tanzania
19. Kilpeck Church doorway in Herefordshire, England
Liked this? Discover more great photography with Rough Guides on Pinterest:
Visit Rough Guides's profile on Pinterest.