There's something fascinating about doorways. Whether it's the idea of the unknown, the promise of a warm welcome, or simply the frame for a perfect view, something makes us feel compelled to photograph them again and again. From the mesmerizing arches of the Mezquita in Córdoba to ornately carved frames in Tibet, here are 20 of our favourite shots from the Rough Guides archive.
Door to the world: 20 inviting entrances
7. A girl entering house in Stone Town, Zanzibar
11. A door in the old town of Brandenburg an der Havel, Germany
12. Frescoes on the facade of St Michael's church in Riva Valdobbia, Italy
14. Mosque entrance in Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina
15. An ornate doorway in the Alcobaca Monastery, Portugal
17. A traditional Swahili door in Pangani, Tanzania
19. Kilpeck Church doorway in Herefordshire, England
Liked this? Discover more great photography with Rough Guides on Pinterest:
Visit Rough Guides's profile on Pinterest.
Book your trip with Rough Guides
Tailor-made travel planned by local experts
At Rough Guides, we understand that experienced travellers want to get truly off-the-beaten-track. That’s why we’ve partnered with local experts to help you plan and book tailor-made trips that are packed with personality and stimulating adventure - at all levels of comfort. If you love planning, but find arranging the logistics exhausting, you’re in the right place.Learn Morechevron_right
Book through Rough Guides’ trusted travel partners