Three blocks east of Plaza Morazán, on Avenida Paz Barahona, the Iglesia San Francisco is the oldest church in the city, first built by the Franciscans in 1592, although much of the present building dates from 1740. No longer a functioning church, these days it houses a museum dedicated to the Honduran armed forces. The signage is all in Spanish.

Book through Rough Guides’ trusted travel partners

Weekly newsletter

Sign up now for travel inspiration, discounts and competitions

Sign up now and get 20% off any ebook