Restaurants often go to great efforts to translate their menus for English speakers. But sometimes their best intentions, well, just don't quite go to plan. Detonation eggplant, curried grab and crap sticks sound delicious? That's just the start of it. We've rounded up some of the funniest menu fails from around the world below.
20 baffling menu mistakes from around the world
1. We had to try bad pepper fried beef while researching the Rough Guide to Laos
Image courtesy of Ed Aves
2. This seems unlikely to "make people taste happiness"
3. The ginger water's in trouble
4. Anyone for a curried grab?
5. We can only hope this restaurant isn't advocating cannibalism
6. It's all about creating the slobber
7. There's nothing more appetising than a fried crap stick
8. Sometimes prawns are just blown out of all proportion in Vietnam
9. This duck got more than it bargained for
10. These casseroles would leave a lasting impression
photo credit: 2009_07_25_DSC06260 Pieces Body of Cuttlefish t1.5 via photopin (license)
11. Well, it probably does
12. Why burns the sheep hoof?
13. There are just too many delicious options on offer here
14. Boil broken or not, it could still be a bit chewy
15. We'll pass thanks
16. Could we have an order of the wild virus, please?
17. Don't worry, this vinegar is crudely benign
18. Unimaginably good?
19. Tapas here comes with a side of debauchery
20. Soup maker in cattle? Nope, not a clue
Book through Rough Guides’ trusted travel partners