Cyprus // North Cyprus //

The Girne Gate and around

Of the various entrances into the walled city on the northern side, the Girne (Kyrenia) Gate is the best preserved, and has been used by the Venetians, the Ottomans and the British, all of whom have left inscriptions that adorn its exterior. In 1931 the British demolished parts of the wall on either side to allow traffic into the city. As a result, the gate is now stranded in the middle of a dual carriageway, with worthy statues to the north (Ataturk) and south (Dr Küçük, with adoring little girl), and an open space on all sides – Inonu Square – which now sometimes becomes the focus of political rallies and demonstrations.