This competition is now closed.
Click here to enter our 2017 travel photography competition.
Are you handy with a DSLR or do you just love snapping away on your phone? This summer we’re inviting amateur photographers to dig out their best travel photo in the first ever Rough Guides travel photography competition.
We’re giving away the ultimate travel photographer’s survival kit:
• Canon 750D with a Connect and Share Kit
• Aquapac DSLR Submersible case
• Aquapac TrailProof dry bag
• Biox aqua drops
• Biox Aqua tablets
• Sterile medical pack
• Bed bug guard
• Wedge mosquito net (single bed)
• Compact net (double bed)
• Trek Ultra repellent
• Plus a copy of Make the Most of Your Time on Earth, Best Day on Earth and Colour the World.
Two runners-up will both receive a copy of Make the Most of Your Time on Earth, Best Day on Earth and Colour the World.
The shortlisted images will be published on RoughGuides.com on 16 September 2016, and the winner and runners-up will be announced on 21 September 2016.
We want to see your best travel photo from one of the following themes:
• Like a local
• Close to home
• Back to nature
• The big city
To enter, all you need to do is send your best travel photo as an attachment to [email protected], stating your chosen theme in the subject line along with “Photography competition 2016”. Images must be a minimum of 1000 pixels wide and no larger than 2mb in size. Also included in the email should be your name, age, country of residence and your preferred contact email address.
Note that this competition is only open to amateur photographers. See the terms and conditions for more information.
Tips for taking a great travel photo
Find out here what professional wildlife photographer Paul Goldstein has to say about taking pictures of animals, and take some tips from our travel photographer Diana Jarvis on making the most of sunrise and sunset with your lens. Here are a few general tips to get you started:
- Know your camera: your camera manual is your best friend, read it and understand how your kit works before embarking on your photography adventure.
- Be disciplined: don’t use post-production as an excuse to take a lazy photograph. Challenge yourself to get it right the first time and you’ll come out with an extra special image.
- Experiment: whether it’s with different shutter speeds or alternative angles on the same object, straying away from your usual behaviour is bound to give your images a new lease of life.
Competition closes at 23:59 BST on 7 September 2016. Only one photograph per entrant; competition open to residents of the UK and Ireland, South Africa, India, Australia, New Zealand, Canada (excluding Québec) and the USA. For full terms and conditions, see here.