GVI competition Terms & Conditions
- No purchase necessary to enter the competition.
- This competition is open to residents of the United Kingdom and the United States of America aged 18 years or over, with the exception of employees of the Promoter, its affiliated companies (including, without limitation, Penguin Books Limited, Dorling Kindersley Limited and Penguin Group LLC), their families, agents and anyone else connected with this promotion.
- Entries must be received by 23:59 GMT on 9th November 2013 (the “Closing Date”). The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any entries that are incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach the Promoter by the relevant closing date for any reason. Proof of posting or sending is not proof of receipt. Automatically generated entries or entries via agents or third parties are invalid and shall not be considered. Entries become the property of the Promoter and are not returned.
- Only one entry per person. No entrant may win more than one prize.
- To enter entrants must have registered for an account at roughguides.com and must comment on the relevant Community post at http://bit.ly/162gA37 with an answer to the question “what is your top destination choice for 2014 and why?” in no more than 80 words.
- All valid, eligible entries received by the Closing Date will be entered into a prize draw which will take place on 13th November 2013. The first entry drawn at random will be the winner.
- The prize for the winner is a 2 week placement on a choice of one of the following three volunteer projects provided by Global Vision International: Jaguar Conservation in Costa Rica, Thailand Coastal Marine Expedition, or Volunteer with Dolphins in Kenya. The placement will be two weeks in length, with all meals included (unless otherwise stated in field manuals). The prize comprises the placement only. All other arrangements including, without limitation, flights, airport transfers and taxes, medical and travel insurance and visas and other travel documentation are not included and are the responsibility of the winner at their own expense. The placement must be taken any time from January to June 2014, or from September to December 2014. All travelling dates and times are subject to availability. In the event that you cannot make these dates, no alternative dates will be possible and the Promoter reserves the right to offer the prize to a substitute winner.. The prize is subject to any rules imposed by the Global Vision International and Promoter shall have no liability to winner in the event that Global Vision International refuses the winner access to any placement due to a breach by winner of those rules. In particular, the winner will be required to complete a medical details form and may be required to provide at their own expense a doctor’s note detailing any medical conditions. Due to the expeditions’ involvement with children, participants in the Kenyan Dolphin expedition or Thailand Coastal Marine Expedition are required to have a criminal background check (at the winner’s expense) before being able to participate in the expedition.
- The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The prizes are non-transferrable and no cash alternative will be offered.
- Prizes are subject to availability. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the Promoter reserves the right (a) to substitute alternative prizes of equivalent or greater value and (b) in exceptional circumstances to amend or foreclose the promotion without notice. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner will be notified via email or post or phone by 22 November 2013. To be confirmed a winner, the selected entrant must: (a) claim their prize within 30 days of the Promoter sending notification, and (b) sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and compliance with the Promotion’s Terms and Conditions and release of liability and consent to publicity (“Affidavit”). If a selected entrant does not return the Affidavit within this time, or if the prize is unclaimed after this time, it will lapse and the Promoter reserves the right to offer the unclaimed prize to a substitute winner selected in accordance with these rules.
- By entering this competition each entrant confirms that his/her entry is their wholly-owned creation and to the extent that such entry makes use of any third party materials that these have been fully cleared unless they are no longer protected by copyright or other intellectual property rights. Entrants will keep the Promoter harmless from any claims in relation to their entry that the entry infringes the personal or proprietary right of any other person. By submitting an entry, each entrant (or their parent/guardian on their behalf) grants to the Promoter a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to edit, publish, translate, modify, adapt, make available and distribute the entry throughout the world in any media now known or hereafter invented. Each entrant (or their parent/guardian on their behalf) undertakes to complete any necessary documentation to formalise the licence. If you do not want to grant us these rights, please do not submit materials to us.
- To obtain details of the winner please email [email protected] stating the name of the competition in the subject heading 4 weeks after the closing date.
- The Promoter will use any data submitted by entrants only for the purposes of running the competition, unless otherwise stated in the entry details. By entering this competition, all entrants consent to the use of their personal data by the Promoter for the purposes of the administration of this competition and any other purposes to which the entrant has consented.
- The winners agree to take part in reasonable post event publicity and to the use of their names and photographs in such publicity.
- Promoter may disqualify any entrant whose entry does not comply with these terms and conditions (in Promoter’s sole opinion) or who, in Promoter’s sole determination, has acted in a manner that is fraudulent, dishonest or unjust to other entrants including, without limitation, tampering with the operation of the competition, manipulating or rigging votes, hacking, deceiving, cheating or by harassing or threatening other entrants or a representative of Promoter.
- By entering the competition each entrant agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- The Promoter is Rough Guides Limited 136 Tooley Street, London SE1 2TU.
- These terms and conditions are governed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and any dispute shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
Book through Rough Guides’ trusted travel partners