• Sweden is the third largest country in western Europe – behind only France and Spain – stretching 1600km from north to south. If the country were pivoted around on its southernmost point, the top of the country would reach as far south as Naples in Italy.
• There is no translation for the Swedish word lagom, one of the most commonly used terms in the language. Roughly speaking, it means “just the right amount, not too much but not too little”, a concept that is the very essence of Swedishness.
• More than half of Sweden’s land surface is covered with forest – mostly coniferous – punctuated by an astonishing 100,000 lakes.
• Sweden is home to the world’s first and largest hotel made entirely of ice and snow. Icehotel is built in December using blocks of ice cut from the local Torne River. The hotel melts back into the river in May.
• In northern Sweden frozen lakes and rivers are used by drivers looking for a shortcut to their destination. The national road agency marks out “ice roads” and decides when the ice is thick enough to support a vehicle.
Everything you need to know before you set off.
Travel offers; book through Rough Guides
Planning your trip to Sweden
Everything you need to plan where to go and what to do.
The latest articles, galleries, quizzes and videos.
You’ll soon be able to stay at the ICEHOTEL throughout the year
The ICEHOTEL, constructed from snow and ice each year, has long been Swedish Lapland’s blockbuster attraction. It features in our list of the top 21 things to…19 Apr 2016 • Eleanor Aldridge insert_drive_file Article
Trail-running in the stunning Swedish countryside
Ros Walford goes leaping over granite rocks to give you the lowdown on Sweden’s only coastal trail-running race. What is this strangely named Icebug Xperie…09 Nov 2015 • Ros Walford insert_drive_file Article
Scandinavia for first-timers: 7 ideas for short breaks
On the face of it, Scandinavia isn’t a very sensible place for a holiday. For one thing, it’s almost always going to be colder than the place you’re leavi…09 Oct 2015 • Steve Vickers insert_drive_file Article