• Though Panama has the highest growth rate in Latin America at around 8.5 percent, over a quarter of the population lives below the poverty line – the majority from indigenous communities.
• Panama hosts almost 1000 species of bird, including the odd-looking three-wattled bellbird, resident in the Chiriquí Highlands, whose extraordinary “bonk” call can be heard almost a kilometre away.
• Panama City’s new 14km Metro line cost an estimated $1.88 billion dollars to build, with likely annual maintenance costs of around $56 million – the country’s second most expensive project after the Panama Canal expansion.
• The Panama Canal took over 60 million pounds of dynamite to blast through the rock; the ships laden with the explosives each contained 20,000 boxes that all had to be unloaded by hand.
• The Guna, Panama’s most high-profile indigenous people, have one of the highest rates of albinism in the world with one in 150 being born a “moon child”.
Everything you need to know before you set off.
Book through Rough Guides’ trusted travel partners
Planning your trip to Panama-New
Everything you need to plan where to go and what to do.
The latest articles, galleries, quizzes and videos.
18 brilliant pictures of life in Cuba
Cuba – with its gorgeous beaches, verdant countryside and time-worn capital – made it onto the Rough Guide to 2018. And as Trump tightens restrictions on US…
Video: a 1 minute guide to Cuba
From the gorgeous countryside of Viñales to the brilliant beaches of Varadero – not to mention the atmospheric, timeworn streets of Havana – Cuba is a begu…
The best aerial views in the world
Got a head for heights? If you're craving a new perspective on your travels, the best thing to do is get up high. From mountain-top panoramas to cityscapes, her…