Iglesia de la Inmaculada Concepción
On the southeast corner of the Parque Central is the recently renovated cathedral, whose intricate facade consists of tiers of niches containing statues of the saints. More properly known as Iglesia de la Inmaculada Concepción, it was the largest church of its kind in the country during the colonial period, housing sixteen altars, though only four of these survive today. The cathedral’s bell tower, built between 1580 and 1708, is considered one of the outstanding examples of colonial Baroque architecture in Central America, and is home to the twelfth-century Reloj Arabe, one of the oldest clocks in the world. Originally made for the Alhambra in Granada, Spain, the timepiece was presented to the city in 1582 by King Philip II.
Book through Rough Guides’ trusted travel partners