• Divided into 77 provinces or changwat, Thailand was known as Siam until 1939 (and again from 1945 to 1949); some academics suggest changing the name back again, to better reflect the country’s Thai and non-Thai diversity.
• The population of 63 million is made up of ethnic Thais (75 percent) and Chinese (14 percent), with the rest comprising mainly immigrants from neighbouring countries as well as hill-tribespeople.
• Buddhism is the national religion, Islam the largest minority religion, but nearly all Thais also practise some form of animism (spirit worship).
• Since 1932 the country has been a constitutional monarchy. King Bhumibol, also known as Rama IX (being the ninth ruler of the Chakri dynasty), is the world’s longest-ruling head of state, having been on the throne since 1946; the current prime minister, Yingluck Shinawatra, entered politics only six weeks before winning the general election in 2011 with an absolute majority.
• Thailand fell to 153rd out of 178 countries on Reporters without Borders’ index on press freedom in 2010, because of a surge in the use of the lese-majesty laws.
• The world record for nonstop kissing was set by two Thai men in Pattaya on Valentine’s Day, 2012, at a gobsmacking 50 hours, 25 minutes and 1 second.
Everything you need to know before you set off.
Travel offers; book through Rough Guides
Planning your trip to Thailand
Everything you need to plan where to go and what to do.
The latest articles, galleries, quizzes and videos.
The truth about elephant tourism in Asia
Elephants are born free, but are everywhere in chains – and it’s tourism which is increasingly to blame. Riding an elephant used to be on every visitor’s …25 Nov 2016 • Gavin Thomas insert_drive_file Article
9 essential tips for backpacking Thailand
Backpacking Thailand can mean staying in fun-packed hostels and idyllic beach bungalows, eating noodles so tasty and so cheap you’ll swear off all other food …11 Apr 2016 • Helen Ochyra insert_drive_file Article
These amazing photos of Thailand will intensify your wanderlust
Professional photographer Ian Barin shares some of his favourite pictures of Thailand. Thailand. It’s everything you’ve heard; a beautifully complex co…08 Mar 2016 • Ian Barin insert_drive_file Article