Two characteristically ostentatious Scindia family tombs are found in the south of Gwalior. Inside a walled courtyard, the chhatris feature intricate stonework and ornately painted scenes of life inside the nineteenth-century Maratha royal court. Built in 1817 to commemorate Maharaja Jiyaji Rao Scindia, the larger of the pair is most remarkable for the intricate outside panelling of interwoven flowers. The second chhatri is a more compact and finely detailed version of the former. Constructed in 1843 for the recently departed Maharaja Janakaji Scindia, sculptures and carvings depict the hectic lifestyle of a king.