The house is now home to one of the city’s most interesting museums, featuring assorted exhibits relating to the history of Dubai. Pride of place goes to the superb collection of old photographs, with images of the city from the 1940s through to the late 1960s, showing the first steps in its amazing transformation from a remote Gulf town to global megalopolis. There are also fine shots of fishermen at work and old dhows under their distinctive triangular lateen sails, plus a couple of photos showing the rather biblical-looking swarm of locusts that descended on the town in 1953. (Locusts have played a surprisingly important role in Dubai’s history. One theory holds that the town’s name derives from a type of local locust, the daba, while during the starvation years of World War II, locusts – netted and fried – provided a valuable source of food for impoverished locals.) Another room is devoted to photos of the various craggy-featured Al Maktoum sheikhs – the startling family resemblance makes it surprisingly difficult to tell them apart – including the prescient image of Sheikh Rashid and the young Sheikh Mohammed poring over a petroleum brochure which can also be seen in the Al Ahmadiya School.
Elsewhere you’ll find some interesting wooden models of traditional dhows, colourful colonial-era stamps and an extensive exhibit of local coins, featuring a large selection of the East India Company and Indian colonial coins which were used as common currency in Dubai from the late eighteenth century right through until 1966, when Dubai and Qatar introduced a joint currency to replace them. Upstairs a couple of further rooms are filled with lovely old maps of Dubai and the Arabian peninsula, plus some documents detailing assorted administrative and commercial dealings between the British and Dubaians during the later colonial period, including the agreement allowing Imperial Airways seaplanes to land on the Creek from 1938, the first commercial service to touch down in Dubai.