Piața Sfatului is overshadowed by the Gothic pinnacles of the city’s most famous landmark, the Black Church, which stab upwards like a series of daggers. An endearingly monstrous hall-church that took almost a century to complete (1383–1477), it is so called for its soot-blackened walls, the result of being torched by the Austrian army in 1689. Inside, by contrast, the church is startlingly white, with oriental carpets creating splashes of colour along the walls of the nave. In summer, the church’s 4000-pipe organ is used for concerts.
The fifteenth-century council house (Casa Sfatului) in the centre of Piața Sfatului now houses the History Museum, which has a small exhibition dedicated to the Saxon guilds that dominated Braşov in medieval times.