Lording it over the Antibes ramparts and the sea, the sixteenth-century Château Grimaldi is a beautifully cool, light space, with hexagonal terracotta floor tiles, windows over the sea and a terrace garden filled with sculptures by Germaine Richier, Miró, César and others. In 1946 Picasso was offered the dusty building as a studio. Several extremely prolific months followed before he moved to Vallauris, leaving all his Antibes output to what is now the Musée Picasso. Although Picasso donated other works later on, the bulk of the collection belongs to this one period. Picasso himself is the subject of works here by other painters and photographers, including Man Ray, Hans Hartung and Bill Brandt; there are also anguished canvases by Nicolas de Staël, who stayed in Antibes for a few months from 1954 to 1955.