Austria // Vienna //

The Secession

The eccentric, eye-catching building crowned with a “golden cabbage” by Karlsplatz is the Secession building, the gallery built as the headquarters of the movement of the same name in 1898, designed by Joseph Maria Olbrech, and decorated by several luminaries of the group, including their first president Gustav Klimt. Their aim was to break with the Viennese establishment and champion new ideas of art and aesthetics, and it still puts on contemporary exhibits. The only permanent artwork is Klimt’s Beethoven Frieze downstairs.