East of the cathedral, on the seafront, the renovated former Government House, now renamed the House of Culture (Mon–Thurs 8.30am–5pm, Fri 8.30am–4.30pm; Bz$10; t 227-3050, w http://www.nichbelize.org), is one of the most beautiful spots in Belize City, with its manicured lawns and sea views. Built in 1814, the structure served as the British governor’s residence until Belizean independence in 1981. The main room downstairs exhibits the possessions of former governors as well as colonial silverware, glasses and furniture; temporary historical and cultural exhibitions are also on this floor. Upstairs are rooms for painting, dance and drumming workshops, art exhibitions and musical performances.
Show Related Guides Hide Related Guides