Manly, just above the North Head of Sydney Harbour, is doubly blessed, with both ocean and harbour beaches. It is this combination, and its easy accessibility from central Sydney, that give it the feeling of a holiday village still within the city limits. When Captain Arthur Phillip, the commander of the First Fleet, was exploring Sydney Harbour in 1788, he saw a group of well-built Aboriginal men onshore, proclaimed them to be “manly” and named the cove in the process. During the Edwardian era it became fashionable as a recreational retreat from the city, with the promotional slogan “Manly – seven miles from Sydney, but a thousand miles from care”. Beyond Manly, the northern beaches continue for 30km up to the Barrenjoey Peninsula and Palm Beach.
Show Related Ebooks Hide Related Ebooks