Renamed to commemorate Chiang Kai-shek in 1990, Zhongzheng (中正; zhōngzhèng) district is where Taipei was born in the 1880s. Little remains of Liu Mingchuan’s old walled city (城内; chéngnèi) today, as the walls and most of the early buildings were demolished by the Japanese after 1895. Indeed, it’s the Japanese period that gives the area much of its historic character, most evident in its numerous government offices and the particularly distinctive Presidential Building southwest of 2-28 Peace Park, another colonial legacy. Today’s Zhongxiao, Zhongshan, Aiguo and Zhonghua roads follow the line of the old walls.
Further south are the National Museum of History and Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall, one of Taipei’s most famous landmarks. The area is easily accessed by MRT, though distances are not great and it’s possible to walk between the main sites.