Malls line the initial stretch of Scotts Road, leading north from Orchard MRT towards Newton Circus, before giving way to the impressive Goodwood Park Hotel, with gleaming walls and a distinctive squat, steeple-like tower. Having started life in 1900 as the Teutonia Club for German expats, it was commandeered by the British Custodian of Enemy Property with the outbreak of war across Europe in 1914, and didn’t open again until 1918, after which it served for several years as a function hall. In 1929, it became a hotel, though by 1942 it and the Raffles (designed by the same architect, incidentally) were lodging Japanese officers; perhaps fittingly, the Goodwood Park was later used for war-crimes trials. Today the hotel remains one of the classiest in town and is a well-regarded venue for a British-style tea.
Show Related Ebooks Hide Related Ebooks