Brought from Kartasura by Pakubuwono II in one huge day-long procession in 1745, the Kasunanan Palace is Solo’s largest and most important royal house. It stands within the kraton, just south of the alun-alun; guides are available free of charge and are definitely worth using. Non-royals must enter the main body of the palace by the eastern entrance. This opens out into a large courtyard whose surrounding buildings house the palace’s kris (dagger) collection, as well as a number of chariots, silver ornaments and other royal knick-knacks. An archway to the west leads into the Susuhunan’s living quarters. Many of the buildings in this courtyard are modern copies, the originals having burnt down in 1985. By the southwest corner of the town’s main alun-alun, the three-storey Pasar Klewer claims to be Java’s largest batik market, and designs from all over Java can be found here.
Show Related Ebooks Hide Related Ebooks