Winter northern Poland - to see frozen lake -river - sea- islands?

Hi to all!
I was thinking to do a 10-15 day visit to Poland, soon after Christmas, in January, basing at Warsaw and Gdansk, and experience the cold season there (I’ve been to Warsaw- Krakow in summer), would love to visit frozen water scapes this time!
It seems that I have a thing with water, in all forms nature gives it!
Planning to walk around, take photos, do/ watch ice fishing, maybe take a ferry ride through frozen sea surface if possible, etc.
Simple day hiking in nature around cities or villages would also be perfect – but I’m not really into skiing, or high peaks , exhausting mountaineering…
I understand (?) that it will be cold, with less light hours , but could hope to have an enjoyable experience yet?
My budget is mostly at the lower part of budget spectrum (staying at hostels, moving with public transport…) so wouldn’t book a full package with travel agency – basically looking for simple independent travelling.
So, if you have any tips for such a kind of trip, places, recommendations etc would be a great great help!!!
happy holidays and happy new year!!
Nikolaos

Nikolaos 26/12/13    Where to goPoland Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

1 Reply Date Popularity

This winter in Poland is unfortunately warm. So you don’t have any chance to see frozen lakes or rivers as well. Maybe in February will something change :(.
BR
Damian

DamianM 08/01/14    Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....