CLOSED: win an overland tour through southern Africa worth over £2500

Congratulations to our winner, Lisa Imlach, who’s answer was: “I’d love to see a pack of lions in the wild!”

We’re giving you the chance to win an incredible two-week overland adventure through South Africa, Botswana and Zambia. This Acacia Africa trip takes you from the City of Gold (Johannesburg) to the remote villages of Botswana and along the Zambezi River to the spectacular crashing waters of Victoria Falls. Meet Africa’s Big Five in Kruger National Park and stare in awe at the breathtaking views along the way.

To enter, all you have to do is answer this question below:

Which animal would you most like to see in the wild and why?

Read more about the trip: http://bit.ly/1cYkdQy
Competition closes on 14th April 2014. UK and US entrants only.
Flights and additional fees not included (updated 20.03.2014). Full terms and conditions: http://bit.ly/Obf786

Lottie Gross 14/03/14    General travel chatAfrica Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

478 Replies Date Popularity

White Rhino!!! This amazing animal must be ‘loosing the will to live” in the wild due to the high risk of poaching and sadly, it may even become extinct in our lifetime. I would love to see it roaming around in its natural habitat.

Lorraine

lorraine 14/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see elephants in the wild- these gentle giants have amazing family bonds, are vegetarian and the babies look sooo cute!

harrowlass 15/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see Giraffes as I think they are the most beautiful, graceful and unique animals in the world

hushpuppie 15/03/14    Link Report

I would like to meet an elephant because elephants cry

Henri 18/03/14    Link Report

me too

frankirizarry 18/03/14    Link Report

Giraffes because they are such beautiful creatures

chris 18/03/14    Link Report

My favourite mammal has to be the elephant. Intelligent and loving.

Helena Jugurnauth 18/03/14    Link Report

Panda – still the cutest animal in the World!

delboy3 19/03/14    Link Report

I’d love to see a Cheetah, I did a safari many years ago unfortunately they remained elusive.

nixmo 19/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see a lion in the wild. It is without any doubt the king of Africa and on top of that, the symbol of my land (Belgium) has two lions !

Geert D 19/03/14    Link Report

I would love to birding in South Africa. I’ve seen birds from many parts of the world, but SA isn’t one of them. I’d like to add the grey crowned crane to my lifelist.

wcinro 20/03/14    Link Report

It’s got to be Orcas. They are such intelligent animals and adapt well to their environment and circumstances. i’d rather see them swimming free than in a park.

franjess2000 03/04/14    Link Report

Leopards as they are so beautiful and reclusive. They are quite mesmerising and if you can see them nocturnally you also get to see their prey. The circle of life in action…

sue taylor 14/04/14    Link Report

I would love to see a Rhino, especially the White Rhino!!! This amazing animal must be ‘loosing the will to live” in the wild today due to the high risk of poaching. Sadly, it may even become extinct in our lifetime. I would love to see it roaming around in its natural habitat.

Lorraine

lorraine 14/03/14    Link Report

Black Rhinos as there aren’t many left! I hope they survive for a lot longer into the future. I hope going to Africa would help the economy and therefore help it’s inhabitants (human & animal) live an easier life.

LucyGaunt 11/04/14    Link Report

The number of animals I would want to see in South Africa are endless. Botswana is home to so many well-known African animals; over 164 types of mammals, 550 bird species and 157 different reptiles. I have always dreamed of exploring the most isolated of villages in South Africa. I think that seeing giraffes would be absolutely incredible. I love how awkwardly complex they are! Their legs alone are over 6ft tall, they can run around 35mph, they fight each other by clashing necks with each other, they are strong enough to kill a lion, and last, they look hilarious when trying to reach water. They’re goofy, beautiful creatures that I would love to observe. There really isn’t anything else like them, and that’s what grabs me.

zachandallie 14/03/14    Link Report

I’d love to see a leopard in the wild. We have them at our local zoo and they’re so regal looking. I imagine they must be beautiful in their natural surroundings.

travelphotomag 14/03/14    Link Report

I would most love to see the Barbary Lion in the wild, sadly this would be impossible as they are unfortunately considered to be extinct in the wild. I have gone and visited the Barbary lions in the Zoo in Belfast plenty of times and have fallen in love with this majestic creature. Southern Africa is full of incredible animals that would be incredible to see and photograph, and if I had to choose an animal not extinct in the wild it would be the Scimitar Horned Oryx, or indeed any form of Oryx or Kudu, fantastic creatures. As a student in photography and graphic design graduating in 2 months it would be an incredible way to build my portfolio as a photographer with fantastic images and I would promise to keep a strong and informative diary of my trip along with a strong suite of images that I could post as a case story about Rough Guides on my return. I am certainly not the type to waste and opportunity and cite my love of adventures and travelling as my top interest on my CV. This opportunity would mean the world to me, and also indeed be my first trip outside continental Europe, an adventure I am itching to undertake once I finish university.

Thank you, Steve.

steveohneill 14/03/14    Link Report

Elephants crossing the river on an african sunset in Botswana….

eraarchontaki 14/03/14    Link Report

I think I would love to see a herd of elephants, so beautiful and majestic…

Glenn Hutton 14/03/14    Link Report

I would like to see giraffes as they are such majestic, elegant animals.

Caroline Clarke 06/04/14    Link Report

I would love to see the Rhinos as they are such amazing animals and would want to see them in the wild where they belong.

Kat Lucas 14/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see an elephant in the wild. I’ve only seen them captive and it would make me so happy to see one in the wild, roaming free.

birdie 15/03/14    Link Report

A giraffe because they look beautiful and amazing, they are so tall and elegant.

Liupm 15/03/14    Link Report

All the different birds because I have spotted all the British birds and it would be nice to spread my wings.

nodrog88 15/03/14    Link Report

A family of warthogs. Not obvious but they are cute, courageous and have a real attitude. Survival at its finest.

alabaster 15/03/14    Link Report

A family of warthogs. Not obvious but they are ultimate survivors, fiercely protective and courageous while gentle and playful with their young. Fantastic!

alabaster 15/03/14    Link Report

Any of the big five…but in particular lions and their young.

Clarissa 15/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see an elephant as they are so iconic.

SammyT73 15/03/14    Link Report

This is such a hard question as seeing any animal in its true habitat is an amazing and sadly sometimes very privileged experience. I love all animals and would love to see many before man wipes them out completely so I guess with that in mind then the White Rhino would have to be top of my list.

Tracey A Belcher 15/03/14    Link Report

Elephant – they are so beautiful, intelligent and have a strong social structure

rupert12 15/03/14    Link Report

Elephant – they are beautiful with a strong social structure

rupert12 15/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see elephants and giraffes. Giraffes look so elegant.

Mary Lucking 15/03/14    Link Report

Seeing any animal in it’s wild habitat would be amazing and so different to watching them in a zoo. If I were to chose one though, it would be a rhino as they are amazing creatures but quite rare as well.

puczini 15/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see a jaguar, the ultimate would be to see a a jaguar dragging its kill up into a tree.

Christine Constable 15/03/14    Link Report

I’d love to see a herd of majestic Elephant – surely the most noble of animals. To see how they interact with each other and within their enviroment would be a once in a lifetime experience.

philiboy 15/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see a Lion in the wild in her natural environment, it would be a magnificent and thrilling sight

Michelle Ba Bamber 15/03/14    Link Report

The Brown Hyena, the rarest Hyena of them all.

mike007 15/03/14    Link Report

Very difficult question, as there are so many. I would love to see a leopard because they are beautiful and graceful. Also would love to see a meerkat as they are cute.

Simone 15/03/14    Link Report

I would most like to see a cheetah in the wild. They are such beautiful creatures & it would be amazing to see the speed at which they run. They also make the most beautiful sounds & their cubs are so cute. I am the proverbial crazy cat lady & my dream is to cuddle a cheetah cub so, maybe if I win this trip, I can visit one of the wildlife rescue centres & fulfil my lifelong dream

lizd31 15/03/14    Link Report

A rhino – I went on safari about 10 years ago and saw everything (including a very playful baby cheetah that was determined to play with our truck) – but no rhinos. In fact the driver of our bus said he had been doing the job for 15 years and never seen one!

Becky Inman 15/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see a pride of white lions or white lion cubs. What could be more beautiful and natural than to see a lioness and her young cubs enjoying their natural habitat – no bars!! Fabulous.

Fruitjoos 15/03/14    Link Report

Whilst not an African Mammal, I would love to see a Mountain Lion in the Rocky Mountains

Matt 15/03/14    Link Report

Rhinos (black or white) – such beautiful creatures

BerksKiwi 15/03/14    Link Report

What wouldn’t I love to see; almost any animal in the wild in it’s natural habitat. I think probably of them all it would have to be the giraffes as they are the most striking looking animals and are so majestic and elegant.

BERNIE 15/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see a zebra in the wild – they are so stunning and unique

lindagreenwood1 15/03/14    Link Report

Hippopotamus – in honour of Mr H.

MartinGiles 15/03/14    Link Report

woul love to see the lion , frightening but so majestic

simmaggs 15/03/14    Link Report

Hippos in the river, one of top 5

siamscot 15/03/14    Link Report

An elephant would be amazing to see, as in such smaller spaces in a zoo, would love to see one free in all it’s grandness

Clairescottshug 15/03/14    Link Report

A pride of lions would be my must animal to see – although its a difficult choice as all animals in their natural habitat would be amazing!

Kate Hester 15/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see giraffes in the wild, I feel so peaceful every time I think about them!

craigandjodie 15/03/14    Link Report

Would like to see the Lions in the wild as they are so majestic, a truly magnificent sight.

Sandra Stitchell 15/03/14    Link Report

I’d love to see giraffes in the world. I always think of them as being really elegant animals, but it’d be amazing to see how they actually behave in the wild.

Catherine May 15/03/14    Link Report

A Caracal, these wild cats are so beautiful and unusual with their long ears that they seem to go unnoticed, I would love to see them in the wild to get a taste of what they are really like

neilmol2009 15/03/14    Link Report

I’d love to see elephants in the wild. They’re truly magnificent – such beautiful animals!

Nikita Hopkins 15/03/14    Link Report

The animal I would most like to see in the wild is a standard poodle, to see how long it would last.

Adrie 15/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see elephants in the wild. I admire the friendly intelligent giants and seeing them brings a tear to my eye

janeyf 15/03/14    Link Report

There are so so many animals I would love to see in the wild but on a trip to Southern Africa specifically to see a Cheetah would be amazing. It’s the fastest land animal in the world and very sadly one of a huge number of animals at risk of extinction by 2030 due to factors such as hunting and habitat loss. To see a Cheetah in it’s natural habitat would be a true privilege.

ge85 15/03/14    Link Report

Elephants they are the most fabulous animals, would love to see in their natural environment before they too become extinct

Jacqueline gill 15/03/14    Link Report

Ever since I was a little girl, have been mesmerized by the wild elegance of the cheetah. Perhaps it’s the way they move. The cheetah’s muscles remind me of the breathtaking beauty of an acrobat or a dancer. They have a fierce poetry about them, in all their rarity and wildness. When watching them in slow motion, I cannot tear my eyes away.

Or maybe I love them because of the stories. As a child, I read folk stories about how the cheetah got its spots, and the sad stories of why the cheetah has tear marks upon its face. In the many variations of those stories, the cheetah was too different from the other big cats for them to accept her as one of them without judgement. Her tears were burned upon her face. Or she painted the tears there as a reminder of her sadness.

In my favorite version of the tale, the cheetah was not given the same “gifts” as the other big cats, but she discovered her own gift. She could practically fly across the ground with unsurpassed eloquence. At the end of the story, she accepted herself, and she blossomed in her own unique beauty.

So in truth, it would be my privilege to see this beautiful endangered animal because it gives me hope.

Amber 15/03/14    Link Report

Lions in order to face my fears!!

deniz10000 15/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see a hippopotamus. They are so powerful yet graceful.

Bhavesh Mistry 15/03/14    Link Report

What animal WOULDN’T I look forward to seeing in the wild?! Elephants, lions, meerkats, rhinos, hyenas, crocs… I could go on and on. I think the most amazing sight to see would be a leopard, simply because they are notoriously skilled in the art of camouflage. What a rewarding sight that would be. If I were to win, my eyes would be set in the trees for those amazing beauties!

Nicole Szemborski 15/03/14    Link Report

What animal WOULDN’T I love to see in the wild?! Lions, meerkats, rhinos, elephants, hyenas, crocs… I could go on and on. I think the most amazing animal sight for me would be a leopard, simply because they are very skilled in the art of camouflage. What an rewarding sight that would be. If I were to win this trip, my eyes would be fixed on the trees hoping to spot one of these beauties!

Nicole Szemborski 15/03/14    Link Report

elephants. big buggers.

puppetfut 15/03/14    Link Report

I think it would be incredibly comical to see a family of meerkats running around in the wild causing mischief and generally being cute! I can imagine just sitting at home sitting in the lounge and hearing funny rustling noises coming from the bushes and seeing meerkats running around :)

alison_pegg88 15/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see elephants in the wild roaming free as they should be

Kendra J Florence 15/03/14    Link Report

I would LOVE to see elephants, they are so beautiful, I have a picture at home with a sunset behind them… you can loose yourself in the beauty.

kezabell 15/03/14    Link Report

Dung beetle – they are so majestic x

sue 15/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see a cheetah in the wild – can’t imagine being able to see such an impressive creature in its natural habitat.

Sarah 15/03/14    Link Report

I’d love to see a herd of elephants / family of elephants living in the wild

Stu Graham 15/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see the adder, one of the three snakes resident of England, I am always seeing signs to look out for them basking on sunny days around local reserves but alas have never had a glimpse. Having always loved snakes I would love to see a peek of one, and the same goes for if I go abroad I would love to glimpse one of their species of snakes.

karenscammell 15/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see an Elephant as one of my relatives was a wildlife photographer and sent me a card with an elephant on for my 5th birthday and I have wanted to see a wild elephant ever since.

Fran Tuck 15/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see meerkats……they tick all the boxes…funny,cute,interesting and clever………sorry sounds like a match.com profile….:)

manthy32 15/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see zebras in the wild. They are so beautiful and to see them in a group in southern Africa… WOW! I am excited just thinking about the possibility! Currently, I volunteer in Macedonia and have had the amazing opportunity to see wolves. I would love to explore the landscapes and wildlife of Africa!

badventure 15/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see the Cheetahs; beauty, speed and agility

Mel 15/03/14    Link Report

This question is nearly impossible for me to answer. As a vet student and an artist, I am fascinated with all things animal. To have the opportunity to become acquainted with the species that make their homes in Africa would be incredible. I would never turn up an offer to see any creature in its natural habitat, whether it be an elusive leopard, a band of zebras, an endless herd of wildebeests, the rare white rhino, or any of the many many species of birds and raptors.

hailey-light 15/03/14    Link Report

Having just today (15th March) visited a ‘zoofari’ in the UK, I would love to see Zebras in the true wild. They are so graceful and beautiful. This would be a dream.

deebakes7 15/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see a Leopard in the wild. They are beautiful and mysterious and I’m sure the most difficult of the ‘big five’ to spot. I’ve been lucky enough to see lots of incredible creatures, but I’ve never seen a Leopard :)

Katie 15/03/14    Link Report

Would love to see a pack of laughing hyenas just to see / hear if they do really laugh

taz10 15/03/14    Link Report

It has always been an African Elephant. I was an elefriend as a kid and glad they are not endangered anymore.

eleanor73 15/03/14    Link Report

An Aye Aye because they are so ugly they are cute and they are so rare they are on the verge of extinction.

mrsmonkster 16/03/14    Link Report

I’d love to see a giraffe in the wild. Graceful, powerful, elegant and stunning creatures

Sarahb 16/03/14    Link Report

A gorilla – so majestic and interesting!

Millicent Jones 16/03/14    Link Report

To drift down the Botswana Delta to see the Deer & the Antelope play, then hopefully see a Lion pounce out while I have my camera at the ready!

Jonathan Newby 16/03/14    Link Report

My dream is to see a gorilla in the wild because they are fascinating creatures.

gridwell 16/03/14    Link Report

Would love to see any of the big 5, but to see elephants in the wild would be great.

Mike 16/03/14    Link Report

A wolf, or rather wolves – preferably a whole pack of them. I’ve been lucky enough to spend some time on Safari in the national parks in Tanzania, so I got to see a few big cats and other big game animals too. I didn’t see a rhino, but it’s turned up a few times already in people’s replies. So I’m going to go for a wolf. If I had to pick a location it would probably be in Alaska – so if I’m being really picky the Alaskan White or Arctic wolf would be very very cool.

Atlasandboots 16/03/14    Link Report

you could see the painted wolf (also known as the cape hunting dog/ african wild dog) in the kruger

norton_616 18/03/14    Link Report

Giraffe! They are fascinating and I don’t think you can full appreciate them from a picture, I would love to see them in the wild!

beckyboo42 16/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see a family of lions. They’re such incredible animals and there’d be nothing like seeing them in their natural habitat.

kez 16/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see zebras in the wild,but most of all, I would like to be able to listen to the sounds of an environment so alien to the one I am used to.

vegancooke 16/03/14    Link Report

I would like to see a lion and its family, because I have always been impressed by the way the family functions and I want to see it for real!

Tatyana Kirilova 16/03/14    Link Report

I would like to see a lion and its family, because I have always been impressed by the way the family is run, so I want to see it for real!

Tatyana Kirilova 16/03/14    Link Report

The great lion, so majestic and so beautiful, nothing is more pleasing and peaceful than to see them in their natural habitat.

sram3280 17/03/14    Link Report

I would like to see a hyaena. I would take more photos of the hyaenas than the lions just so they know they are special and also have a place in this world. Who crowned the lion “king of the jungle” anyway? They don’t even live in the jungle. If anything, they should be contending for the throne of the Savannah, in which case, I would add my strength to the hyaenas cause and not rest until the hyaena is crowned “king of the savannah”. Hyaenas rock.

jamrus241 17/03/14    Link Report

For something far from a zoo experience I’d love to see the great migrations. Wildebeest maybe? Hmm. No… Flamingos! A great, wheeling mass of vibrant, noisy life in its natural habitat.
There, made my choice… flamingos.

Dale 17/03/14    Link Report

The mighty elephant, despite their size they are graceful and delicate creatures, with so many human-like traits.
Would love to see one outside of a zoo!

Tom 17/03/14    Link Report

So much to see, I’d love to see the rhino, elephants, girafffes, birds and all of the big cats. But ultimately I’m a sucker for seeing any baby animals and would love to see some in the wild!

Becky Morgan 17/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see elephants in the wild. They are the coolest animals on the planet!

Gaz Humphrey 17/03/14    Link Report

A giraffe; because it should look absurd, and yet it is the most graceful of all creatures.

JB12 17/03/14    Link Report

elephant in its natural habitat. my girlfriends first picture she drew me was a watercolour picture of an elephant and it was beautiful, since then i have dreamed of seeing an elephant with her in its natural habitat.

greenyman 17/03/14    Link Report

elephant in its natural habitat. my girlfriends first picture she drew me was a watercolour picture of an elephant and it was beautiful, since then i have dreamed of seeing an elephant with her in its natural habitat. x

greenyman 17/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see antelope bouncing across the countryside.

Karen Hambly 17/03/14    Link Report

A hippo! I remember seeing a picture in the newspaper when I was little of a mother Hippo teaching her baby to swim, it struck me how much of a proud mother she looked! Always had a soft spot for those huge majestic creatures who can take a croc down, but gently coax their baby through the water.

ljrob 17/03/14    Link Report

I would love love love to see giraffes in the wild!

urrrbanfox 18/03/14    Link Report

I would love love love to see giraffes in the wild – so unique!

urrrbanfox 18/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see hippos from a boat (not too small). They are most exciting and dangerous animal in Africa.

RevDavid 18/03/14    Link Report

Dung beetles – why does everyone seem to think the only animals worth seeing are big? Dung beetles are amazing creatures. They’re the world’s best recyclers.

Stephen Barnes 18/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see lions in the wild. Why? Seeing them roam freely without bars would be amazing. Whether they are sitting under the shade of a tree or stalking prey in the grass. Seeing their freedom would be breathtaking.

DRodday 18/03/14    Link Report

Seeing any animal in the wild would be amazing. Seeing and sensing their freedom compared to those surrounded by metal bars at home would be incredible…

DRodday 18/03/14    Link Report

I’d love to see elephants in the wild. They are so powerful, yet at the same time a caring, family creature.

kebby 18/03/14    Link Report

Monkeys families , i like them so much , in community

Sophie Balian 18/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see elephants in the wild- they are so majestic and big

helga16 18/03/14    Link Report

I would want to see the size and speed of an African lion!

Matt Palm 18/03/14    Link Report

I would want to witness the size and speed of an African lion!

Matt Palm 18/03/14    Link Report

The wildlife of Africa is so unique and gorgeous! All animals are amazing in there own wild environment..That’s not TV, not a film, this is as it is! Lions, elephants, zebras, leopards, cheetahs.. I’d love to see elephants of course, they are such big and look wise:)

Olga 18/03/14    Link Report

I would most like to see a Blue Whale. The magnitude and incredible weight of history, science, nature and even social behavior are evoked when thinking about the largest mammal known to have ever existed!
Unfortunately, the reality that the great creatures may not exist much longer and I would like to see one, perhaps meet with people who work in conservation and in raising awareness. What a gift that would be!
Cheers!

NellieBee 18/03/14    Link Report

Crocodile, incredible animals which haven’t needed to evolve much, if at all, in hundreds of thousands of years

miles prower 18/03/14    Link Report

Crocodile, incredible animals which haven’t needed to evolve much, if at all, in hundreds of thousands of years

miles prower 18/03/14    Link Report

Elephants! I would love to watch mothers interact with their young.

cstephens8 18/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see the Mountain or Lowland Gorillas! I find their dignified, powerful, gentility fascinating.

lyn 18/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see a pride of lions, because they mind me of my KittyBoy, a 15 pound domestic shorthair who thinks he’s a lion!

galway1ca 18/03/14    Link Report

I would be thrilled to see any of the magestic African animals in the wild. It’s a difficult choice to pick just one, however, I’d have to pick the Rhino. Their numbers have dwindled drastically and they are down to less than 29,000 in the wild. It’s terrible that rhino’s and elephants are tragically poached.

Tracey 18/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see an eagle, I have tried to spot them in the highlands of Scotland without any luck so it’s my mission to view this beautiful and graceful bird of prey in it’s natural habitat.

Angie Hoggett 18/03/14    Link Report

Dwarf Mongooses. Their family groups, hiding in termite mounds, are a real pleasure and privilege to watch. They’re always on the move, poking their heads out of holes, squeaking to each other and with a lookout on guard for any flying predators. They have to be one of my favourite mammals.

PiedBarbet 18/03/14    Link Report

I think it would be amazing to see a Jaguar running at top speed. That’s got to a breathtaking sight.

Bryan Kehr 18/03/14    Link Report

African leopard! Beyond beautiful and graceful. My dream is to see these beauties in their natural habit.

cara 18/03/14    Link Report

Lions — have never seen one in the wild –have seen a number of other animals in Nairobi National Park but lions weren’t moving that day.

spelarno 18/03/14    Link Report

I’m not interested in seeing any animals in the traditional sense, but I would love to see myself traipsing through the beauty of southern Africa’s wild landscape.

lotoseater 18/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see the African elephant in the wild, if only because that is the only place where they deserve to be seen!

Aditya 18/03/14    Link Report

A leopard, because they are incredibly difficult to spot (no pun intended..!). They seem so elegant and mysterious.

annaheim 18/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see the Cape buffalo because it seems like such a unique animal, unlike anything I have ever seen in my lifetime. I think it would be incredible to see such a large and powerful creature in its natural habitat. When people think of safari, we often picture big cats, zebras and rhinos, but we know far less about the buffalo. It would be amazing to see this magnificent animal in the wild and learn more about it.
Sophie.

sjstaunton 18/03/14    Link Report

Leopards, to see how fast they can actually run in the wild

Lily Ng 18/03/14    Link Report

Leopards, i always want to see how fast they can run in the wild. This we cannot witness in the zoo !

Lily Ng 18/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see Bengal tiger they are such beautiful animal and would love to see them in there natural habitat.

lion heart 18/03/14    Link Report

Difficult to say just one as to see any African animal in it’s wild habit would be incredibly special and a truly humbling experience but most of all I would love to see elephants. I love the elephant family system and how protectively they live together plus I shall never understand how they can be the size they are and yet move so gracefully. OK, and the calves are adorable.

maynris 18/03/14    Link Report

Still working on my Big 5, so I’d love to see a Rhinoceros or a Leopard in the wild (seen both as a docent at the WCS Bronx Zoo). Thank you for the chance!

Michelle F. 18/03/14    Link Report

Elephants because they remember us; they mourn their dead and treasure their young …

JulianB 18/03/14    Link Report

Gorilla – my favourite travel book is about a guy who rode a motorbike from London to South Africa and back again. In one scene he’s on the verge of giving up – he’s exhausted, the bike is stuck in mud and he’s miles from any help – then at that point a huge silver back appears from the trees beside him and pauses in front of the guy and his bike. They look at each other, and then the gorilla turns and continues his journey. Suddenly the guy finds himself ready to try again as the feeling of being in Africa and seeing such an incredible animal reminds him of how lucky he is to have the chance to be there. He drags the bike out of the mud and continues his journey. This image has stuck with me ever since I read the book – I would love to be able to have the chance to spend time in the jungle and be face to face with such an incredible animal.

Rjdjones 18/03/14    Link Report

Still working on my Big 5, so I’d love to see a Rhinoceros or a Leopard in the wild (seen both as a docent at the WCS Bronx Zoo). Thank you for the chance!

I’ve seen elephants at elephant camps, but seeing an African elephant in the wild would be AMAZING! They are such gentle giants:)

traveling-teacher 18/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see a cheetah in action simply because they move with such speed and grace it would be beautiful to see in action. Its music in motion.

tef3884 18/03/14    Link Report

African Rhino!!!
In 2003 I traveled to South Africa but did not get to see this amazing animal. Later that year, in Nepal, I was lucky to spot an Indian Rhino. That was not enough and I still feel like I have an unsettled debt with Africa.
My obsession with this animal comes from Douglas Adam’s book – Last Chance to See.

shaisk 18/03/14    Link Report

Up until last year it would have been elephants but I was lucky enough to see them last year in Asia which was just the most amazing and moving thing I have ever seen. So now top of my wishlist would have to be to see a great white shark in the ocean from or boat or maybe even cage diving – I think I could be brave enough to do that!

sandra63 18/03/14    Link Report

Gorillas in their forest home…to see something so powerful yet at times so gentle in their daily lives in their natural habitat is something that I would never be able to forget

Copey 18/03/14    Link Report

Gorillas! I think it would be amazing to see them in their natural habitat. They are so human like!

sunnyhunny 18/03/14    Link Report

Bengal Tigers in the wild

racerxnyc 18/03/14    Link Report

The animal I would like to see most in the wild would be the white rhino. It is a unique creature that is unfortunately close to extinction, so seeing it in its natural environment would be amazing!

spauleavey 18/03/14    Link Report

I would like to see the rhino because it is the only one of the big five I haven’t yet seen in the wild.

Katie 18/03/14    Link Report

Elephants! They’re such interesting social animals. I would love to see for myself how they interact with each other in the wild and enjoy the beauty of their natural habitat.

Mbla 18/03/14    Link Report

for me it has to be a Leopard – such a combination of grace and power, but I’m also soft at heart, so ANY baby animal would be cute too

gregm 18/03/14    Link Report

Giraffes! Ever since I was a kid I’ve been fascinated by these animals because their proportions are so unusual and yet they manage to be so graceful.

ndargani 18/03/14    Link Report

The buffalo has always been so strong and wild and beautiful.

juliettecottam 18/03/14    Link Report

definitely a leopard. I’ve been fortunate enough to see many of the other iconic African animals but not the illusive leopard to fingers crossed i get another chance.

Paul Walshaw 18/03/14    Link Report

My favourite animal is the elephant. They are so huge but so gentle with it and so helpless against those evil poachers. They seem so intelligent and show such emotion. I would love to get close to them in the wild.

Gavin 18/03/14    Link Report

The animal I want to see the most is. Male lion. I think they Re handsome. And I want to see hoe it leads a group of lions.

UNAGIS 18/03/14    Link Report

I’d love to see cheetahs in the wild – I’m very much a big cat person but this one’s on speed!

Stubugs 18/03/14    Link Report

The elephant. Encountering these animals in the wild might be awe-inspiring or terrifying but definitely unforgettable.

roshazy 18/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see as many animals as possible but a truly amazing sight would be the hippo’s in the Zambezi river. They gather in the pools around the falls and it would be incredible experience.

erinlovesgiraffes 18/03/14    Link Report

The “strawberry” leopard that they found in the Madikwe Reserve a few years back! A pink leopard, the only one known to exist in the world, how cool would it be to see that in the wild?!

Papo 18/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see Springbok and their display of ‘pronking’ to celebrate the arrival of rain.

adrian_thornton 18/03/14    Link Report

Lechwe in the Okavango Delta. Surely the most graceful animal to have water-repellant legs? Form and function!

HCT 18/03/14    Link Report

A giraffe – they are colorful and tall and i have never had the opportunity to see one in real life

tezlewis1988 18/03/14    Link Report

Gorilla in uganda

Adam 18/03/14    Link Report

A herd of elephants tops my list. They are so sweet and caring and I have such an emotional response to them and their plight. Would love to experience being in their presence absent of bully hooks, decorations and other humans.

Julie 18/03/14    Link Report

A cheetah and cubs are on my wish list.

Maningrida 18/03/14    Link Report

Elephants. My father used to look after working elephants, and as he was away in the war and died at the end of it I only have a few memories of his stories but awareness of his love for them. Seeing them in the wild would bring me closer to him. Great grey ones of the green plains and forests, respect.

Else 18/03/14    Link Report

African Wild Dog! Perhaps only 3000 remain on the African continent .. they are supreme hunters, amazing parents, and by far my wife’s favourite African animal …so what else could I choose :-)

steveof horndean 18/03/14    Link Report

The Leopard! It’s a bit smaller that it’s stronger cousin the Lion, but uses smarts to obtain prey and is super resourceful. It’s ability to climb trees is wonderful talent and useful in it’s strategy for self preservation.Truly the book worm of large predatory cats!
-James P

James Pappachen 18/03/14    Link Report

The elephant, doesn’t matter how many times you see them. They are the perfect mix between funny, strong, graceful, impressive and lovely. All characteristics in one animal.

Sjoerd

Sjoerd 18/03/14    Link Report

Which animal would you most like to see in the wild and why?
I would like to see and film the Botswana Tiger. Yes, it is a rare feline in Botswana, hardly ever seen, but it does exist. There are not only lions, cheetah and leopards in Botswana, but also this small “tiger”. I would like to see it because it is rare and few have had that pleasure. Most deny its existence, and laugh at the idea of tigers in Africa. They are wrong. Sheldon G. Weeks

SheldonWeeks 18/03/14    Link Report

Still working on my Big 5 in the wild, so Rhinoceros or Leopard (but have seen both as a docent at the WCS Bronx Zoo). Lucky enough to have seen a cheetah with 5 babies (they cheep like birds) and the hippo both in Kenya. Never been to South Africa. Thank you for the opportunity!

I would love to see Elephants in the wild. As a child I saw them at the circus and in the zoo where they really did not look happy. I felt so sad for them. I hope that they might look happier in the wild.

Lynne Box 18/03/14    Link Report

I would really love to see a pack of wild lions. They seem so regal and prestigious. It would be incredible to see them in their natural habitat!! I grew up with a cat who thought he was a lion. Sometimes I see the same emotions in lions faces and it connects with my spirit.

Olga F'Gold 18/03/14    Link Report

I especially wish to see a Leopard in its natural surroundings. As well as the Lions, Elephants and Zebras.

John 18/03/14    Link Report

I would like to see Elephants in the wild most. These gentle giants are, to me, one of the most impressive animals in the universe. On one hand, they are incredibly huge, powerful, and dangerous, capable of massive destruction in an instant. However, they are also intensely capable of sensitivity and connection. The family units that Elephants create with each other are life long and extend over generations and huge amounts of physical travel. When a baby is born, everyone rallies around it to make sure that everyone in the family, especially the baby, is protected. They also will never forget one another or an event that happens to them, making them incredibly complex. I just have so much awe and admiration for them and would love to see them up close (but not too close)!!

bex626 18/03/14    Link Report

The leopard. Sleek, beautiful, almost mysterious, definitely stunning. A marvellous creature with stunning looks.

revmadeley 18/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see the Leopard in the wild as they are beautiful creatures and very majestic. More so though, I’d love for my partner to see a leopard as they’ve always been a favourite of his and I think the emotions he’d feel finally being able to see them would be breathtaking

thetravelholic 18/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see elephants in the wild because they’re the most amazing and wise animals that show their feelings.

Katarzyna Stolowska 18/03/14    Link Report

As a lover of all Apes and Large cats this is an extremely difficult choice. However, if I only have the opportunity to see one it would be the Orangutan. Their location, Borneo or Sumatra, provides a once in a lifetime opportunity to see these wonderful apes in their natural, if diminishing habitat. They are soulful, full of expression, often described as sad looking, but to me my favourite choice just in front of the Gorillas. I believe these apes are very intelligent, gentle and sociable and need to be admired and protected.

Al Lord 18/03/14    Link Report

Amber
Eyes that command
A regal face, sumptuous mane,
golden hide. Lion how I’d gaze
on you

Kairen Cullen 18/03/14    Link Report

Chacma baboon – because they are SEXY!!!

Jen 18/03/14    Link Report

I would love to see a young giraffe as it is the cutest sight on Earth when they are learning to stand up and walk for themselves. I keep tracking the news of giraffe births in European zoos, but havn’t been lucky enough yet to see a giraffe baby.
Anna