CLOSED – WIN an iPhonography starter kit

This competition is now closed. Check back later for the winners.

Photographs are such a great way to document your travels, but it often means lugging a camera around with you, or sacrificing quality and snapping on your phone.

We’re giving away to two iPhonography starter kits to pimp-up your Apple iPhone’s camera to take amazing photos while travelling.

If you want to enter, write your answer to the following question below:

Which is your travel photography device of choice: phone, camera or just your memories?

For more information on the prize, click here: http://bit.ly/1d6i0vk
Competition closes on 12th Feb 2014, for full terms & conditions, see here: http://bit.ly/1anPOUQ

Lottie Gross 15/01/14    Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

85 Replies Date Popularity

I have begun using my iPhone for all my travel photography. It’s easy, lightweight, unobtrusive, and I don’t have to worry about expensive camera gear being stolen.

Expat Mom 15/01/14    Link Report

I use my phone and my trusty Canon G12. Love both and the way they compliment each other. Also just bought “The Rough Guide to Venice and the Veneto”…. So excited to head to Verona and run the Romeo and Juliet half-marathon!

sonjacali 15/01/14    Link Report

I must be a little old fashioned as I use my camera to capture and keep my holiday alive.I use a Fujifilm Fine pixS1730 It takes great pics

susiem 23/01/14    Link Report

I use a bridge camera as it is not as big as an SLR but there are still some manual options which help to capture great photos! I use my iPhone now and again but feel the quality of photos suffers somewhat.

FrauW 15/01/14    Link Report

I still prefer using my camera

Sandra Bald 15/01/14    Link Report

A good, quality digital camera is all you need. Phone cameras are handy for quick snaps but for real keepers it is definitely a full on camera without a doubt.

Michael Huxley 15/01/14    Link Report

Cheap camera – something without sentimental value, so if it breaks I’m not too bummed, but with the ability to take the occasional stunning image. Currently using Canon Ixus

Cheap camera combined with my fading memory

Ryan Bestford 16/01/14    Link Report

We use a small Panasonic Lumix super zoom (Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40), which we really like, and our iPhones for quick shots for immediate uploading to Facebook, etc.

Eat.Run.See 16/01/14    Link Report

i like to use my iphone, along with a digital SLR, a flip camera, an old samsung flip phone all at the exact same time while standing on one leg and barking orders at whatever i’m taking pictures of.
even if its an inanimate object. like if it’s a tree, i’d be all like ‘hey tree, thats not sexy enough… purse your trunk a bit more. okay now look off into the forest longingly.’

apache 16/01/14    Link Report

iphone every time, it’s quick and easy to use photo editing tools and automatic photo journal apps too and with a waterproof case it’s great for all weathers and sports.

nat 17/01/14    Link Report

The iPhone is my go-to choice It’s always on me, plus It’s small size, great looking pics and simple interface means I’m ready in a snap!

Phil 17/01/14    Link Report

iPhone for the convenience and quick snap. But without a lens kit – like offered here – it has been a compact system / bridge camera (aka Sony NEx). With an upcoming trip to India in April/May, I am keen to try these lens kits to see how they will go and maybe the Sony can stay home.

nalkur 18/01/14    Link Report

I travel a lot and love being around new faces and new places. I’ve been to 24 cities in 10 countries over the past 2 and a 1/2 years, and will be visiting 4 cities in 4 countries over the next 3 months. In order to immortalise my adventures, I use my iPhone 4S camera the most often. I can just whip it out easily and snap whatever I like, then go back to trawl through it at the end of the day. The iPhone 5 camera’s a million times better, but I don’t have a need to upgrade my phone yet. So I hope by having an iPhonography starter kit, I can make up for the difference between my iPhone 4S camera and that of the iPhone 5. Apart from that, I also carry around my Minolta Hi-Matic AF2 and Ilford Sportsman to capture really special and beautiful shots. They’re film cameras from different eras, so they’ve got unique and varying effects, meaning you never know what you’re gonna get.

Amanda Hoi 18/01/14    Link Report

Despite the fact I’m forever trying to cut down on the weight of my backpack when I go trekking and travelling – I even have a spreadsheet with all the separate weights of my essential equipment which I complete for every trip – my camera and its accessories always tend to be the heaviest element of my kit. I usually have an SLR with me, my favourite was my old Nikon D40, but I broke it in the Maldives trying to clean the sensor – that was a fairly expensive lesson to learn! So now, after years of Nikon loyalty, I’ve been converted to Canon and now shoot using an EOS 1D and, depending what sort of trip it is, with a telephoto lens. I usually have a little spider tripod with me as well – for night shots and selfies!

However, saying all of that, I often still resort to my iPhone or a cheap little compact like a Kodak Funsaver. When I’m trekking or climbing it’s often not convenient to start pulling out a massive SLR. Likewise when chatting and meeting people, extracting an oversized chunk of technology to capture a quick moment can be a little off-putting or even intimidating. I love the panorama function on the iPhone as it’s great for landscapes and wide shots. Also, recently for a trip to Jordan, I bought a couple of cheap disposable cameras. I loved them. It was cool winding them up and just waiting for a simple click instead of some artificial shutter sound or a beep. And the exposure on all the reds and oranges of the desert was fantastic.

So, what is my travel photography device of choice? Cameras! All sorts, shapes and sizes!

Scratch Video 18/01/14    Link Report

I used to carry a separate camera but have just invested in a Nokia 1020 and will be using that from now on, the camera quality is the best I’ve seen on a mobile.

jseaman 18/01/14    Link Report

I use my iphone.. My husband uses his digital SLR.. Its kind of competitive…

SarahActiance 18/01/14    Link Report

I use my Canon 6D as well as my IPad mini to capture all my memories from my travels. I have also just purchased a Canon powershot with a powerful zoom for when I need to travel light but still want to capture people and places. I couldn’t imagine not exploring or taking pictures whilst travelling!

Jennyt 18/01/14    Link Report

I use my Canon 5D when I can and definitely if I want to print and frame photos, but often I only have my iphone on hand which makes a good substitute.

Evan 19/01/14    Link Report

Currently we are on our one year trip through South America. It’s just wonderful! We are professional photographers but love also Hipstamatic on iphone. Magic tool! But still: the most important moments can not be captured by a camera. They are safe and individual in everyones minds.
blog.intothewide.com

INTO THE WIDE 20/01/14    Link Report

Whilst travelling I use my IPhone to take photos a lot. I can fit it in my pocket, it’s less likely to be stolen and I have found a water proof case for it so no worries taking it on kayaking/boat trips!

Emma West 20/01/14    Link Report

I have a Canon DSLR but I’ve found many memories have been lost whilst choosing an F-stop! I always have my iphone to hand, it’s always ready to take a shot and I’ve had some pretty good results. I’d rather have a great moment captured in poorer quality than miss it all together :)

Sharron Hamilton 20/01/14    Link Report

My Nikon DSLR which can cope with most light conditions.

JSAshworth 23/01/14    Link Report

I bring my R(eal)camera, and end up using my Iphone.

Anna-Lea 21/01/14    Link Report

I use my phone and my Nikon D5000. The phone is the most practical and always at hand so tends to get used more these days. It still can’t compete with my camera for certain shots and settings when time isn’t an issue. I’ll be using both on my trip to Corisca this summer and also to capture scenes from my fantastic city of Stockholm!

Melanie Howarth Risberg 21/01/14    Link Report

I have found myself using my iphone camera more and more in my day to day travels. I used to only shoot with my Canon 550D but since purchasing an ipad and then iphone I have realised how good the cameras are. The iphone camera is perfect because it means in those unexpected moments when you are normally cursing because you have forgotten your camera, you can quickly snap away on your phone and not worry about how bad the quality will be. So these days i’m very torn between my camera and iphone – to add to that mix I purchased a Go Pro last week…

Jodie 21/01/14    Link Report

I love my red Olympus PEN E-PL2. Besides the kit lens, I have a macro lens for flowers and a 14 – 150mm for general use. The settings are easy enough for me to use, the colours are great and the quality of photos is better than a point and shoot without the complexities and equipment weight and bulk of a DSLR.

I’m hoping to upgrade to the Olympus OMD1 sometime this year. My current camera has been through many adventures and scrapes (including a kayaking incident). It now sports amber masking tape in two places – where the grip fell off and got lost, and where the lid for the flash area fell off and got lost too. … it’s time to retire this camera.

I also carry a Lomo Harinezumi and use it in situations where I don’t feel safe or comfortable showing off my Olympus. The Harinezumi is as small as my palm and looks like a toy, therefore not threatening in ‘iffy’ situations like where photography is not very welcome or when safety is an issue. After reading all the warnings on Rio, I used my Lomo at the beach and when I was out on the streets. I saved my ‘real’ camera for indoor shots and less busy areas.

I would like to get the the Nokia 1020 as my backup camera – for when my camera batteries die out – and so that I can sometimes leave my camera behind and not worry about missing out on photo opportunities. I’m waiting for the new model which can shoot RAW files as well.

thatsmyfullname 22/01/14    Link Report

I am using my Iphone more and more, but I am still devoted to a good quality digital SLR but for ease of use and not carrying heavy bags it has to be the phone. Pet hate : people using their IPADS to take pictures !

maria2705 22/01/14    Link Report

Many of the best moments happen unexpectedly which is why I always carry my iPhone 4S in my pocket with me on holiday. I have a Canon 100D which I am learning to use, but only for when I have a loooong time to set it up, and can be bothered to carry it around. That being said, some of the best photos taken have been on a £3.99 underwater disposable camera!

claire137 23/01/14    Link Report

I think that phone cameras and compact cameras are great. Given the choice I still prefer to use my DSLR. Nothing beats memories, but photos are wonderful for triggering them.

deano 23/01/14    Link Report

My memories (which are latter written in my one travel blog) are the coolest… but my house is filled with some phone-photos to be reminded of my adventures daily!
It’s the best thing, being surrounded by all those visual memories of the place I loved!

SSMaxent 23/01/14    Link Report

Canon dslr as a preference. Rarely, a small point and shoot canon, in case there is a lot of dirt or a risk of losing or damaging the dslr along with all the lenses and rest of equipment

Igor R 23/01/14    Link Report

Phone, less to carry about.

sreid16 23/01/14    Link Report

My iPhone, but sometimes I annoy myself because I spend so much time taking photos that I don’t just enjoy the moment, I seem to experience things through a screen!

Eleanor Prigmore 23/01/14    Link Report

i use my i-pod abeit badly lol its ok and good light but my pics turn out blurry and grainy if the light is poor :(

Gaynor Robertson 23/01/14    Link Report

I use my compact digital camera when I remember to take it with me. Or my daughter’s iphone if I forget!

Linda 23/01/14    Link Report

I use my ipone some of the time but feel restricted at times if I want to zoom in on a shot for example, I therefore take my digital camera as well. Having everything to hand with just my ipone would be fantastic.

Bruno 23/01/14    Link Report

I always use my iPhone because it is always with me (unlike my camera which is sat at home when I need it)

Ray 23/01/14    Link Report

I used my Canon SLR up to a few years ago and have used my Blackberry Playbook on and off ever since.

Nino Amoroso 23/01/14    Link Report

I have a NIkon D5000 and enormous lens but find that I usually end up using my iPhone for most of my travel snaps! Especially when skiing as I don’t want to take a hefty (expensive) piece of equipment up the mountain. My iPhone is full of amazing views from the top of mountains!

nicola 23/01/14    Link Report

My Nikon DSLR which can cope with most light conditions.

JSAshworth 23/01/14    Link Report

My memory recorder of choice is my Panasonic camcorder. With this I can produce a film which brings back memories of the holiday, It can also take high quality photographs, so I have the best of both worlds. People we meet on holiday often ask for a copy and, so far, have been appreciative about my efforts.

Ken 23/01/14    Link Report

I have a NIkon D5000 and enormous lens but find that I usually end up using my iPhone for most of my travel snaps! Especially when skiing as I don’t want to take a hefty (expensive) piece of equipment up the mountain. My iPhone is full of amazing views from the top of mountains!

nicola 23/01/14    Link Report

I don’t have a camera at the moment so use my iPhone. It also means that I’m only carrying the one gadget!

racarson39 23/01/14    Link Report

For travel photos I use my Nokia 925 phone which takes reasonable photos which can be geotaged with the phone’s GPS. Using the wireless networking I can share my photos with my friends while I am away. If I get a little lost I can use the GPS and maps to locate where I am (this has proved useful!)

Cycle 23/01/14    Link Report

I prefer a camera, as the lens tend to better quailty but this does seem a good idea.

would like to see some results compared to a camera

grem 23/01/14    Link Report

Camera.

80shilling 23/01/14    Link Report

I use all my Camera or any smart phone I have usually a Samsung S4 or a Motorola
The world is your Oyster….click away at anything that catches your eye…You will get some outstanding results ..even once in a while…..

Sue Walsh 23/01/14    Link Report

For photos its got to be a camera.

martin 23/01/14    Link Report

For me it has to be both the camera and memories. There are occasions when you don’t have the camera on the ready to click and the moment flashes by and all you have is the etched memory – which at a later date is triggered by a sound, smell or colour. Therefore a tapestry of both technology and human emotions will always be the best combination for me.

All the very best to who ever wins. For me we are all winners by taking part and sharing. Thank you folks.

Chandi 23/01/14    Link Report

It’s mainly my memory but I use a camera to trigger it. I use my DSLR for that. Looking at the photos makes me not only remember the places I’ve been to but how it felt being there. The photos are showing just a snapshot of each year and it serves in a way as picture diary.
I love the memories that it collects each month.

Susi Galley 23/01/14    Link Report

I’ve used only my iphone camera since 2011 as I found my other camera was just staying in my bag. No worries about losing them as photos save to the cloud. They’re also easily posted on social media or emailed to friends and everyone comments on how great my photos are. My photobooks are treasured possessions as I only need flick through them to relive all those special trips and occasions all over gain. Love my iphone!!!

Geckogirl 24/01/14    Link Report

I’ve got my iPhone but really would like to have a nice add on for the iPhone or a fancy but light SLR that would come with a professional camera person for my trips – this way all things good and bad would be in pictures! lol… But for the sake of REALITY – I’d like to win to attach it to my iPhone and carry one thing as multi-tasking isn’t for me and this system looks sleek techie yet easy to use. I’m almost ready to use it… click click on my next vacation…

otterBdiving 24/01/14    Link Report

I use both camera and Iphone but it seems like I more and more use the Iphone and less and less the camera. This is because it’s more convenient to use the Iphone. I always have it with me and then I don’t have to bring the camera too.
But when I go to special places where I antipicate to take photos under difficult light conditions, then I bring the camera with me.

Ragnar 24/01/14    Link Report

I enjoy taking pictures with my Canon DSLR when I have time to set up in frame, but for a quick snap my phone camera does the job.

Gasbag 24/01/14    Link Report

Phone

mbcomps 24/01/14    Link Report

Used to be a DSLR, but I’ve started to realise iPhone so much better for those spur-of-the-moment shots, and far less imposing to boot. No more shuffling around to get camera out of bag, case, lens off and focus!

limlach 24/01/14    Link Report

Currently use a Canon DSLR, but have to admit using iPhone more and more for those spur-of-the-moment shots. DSLR is great, but having to take camera out of cover, take of lens, focus etc all takes so much time!

limlach 24/01/14    Link Report

Always prefer to use my SLR camera. But Nowadays using my iPhone more and more!

Doug 24/01/14    Link Report

I used only iphone 4s to take my photos for a long time. I love the fact that my best shots I could direcly share with my friends.
My friends liked my photos so much that they decided that I needed an upgrade. They got my a camera. it is Olympus PEN E-PL5. It is nice and easy camera but I can’t share my photos with it. I love instagram and I love sharing when I travel and I travel a lot. I can’t do it with this camera. So I guess I will be back to my iPhone :). Also it is alwasy with me anyway :)

Beatka Dudzicsu 24/01/14    Link Report

memories will last a lifetime,they will never be lost

terenceanthony 24/01/14    Link Report

I like to just remember, being unencumbered by a camera sometimes. but then I feel i’m missing out on capturing things! I can’t really win!

georgiecurl 24/01/14    Link Report

I prefer to use a camera while traveling … I have an iPhone 5 which is great for capturing unexpected moments day-day-to-day while at home, but the quality is still nowhere near that of even most point-and-shoots.

Flybrarian 24/01/14    Link Report

camera-love going back and looking -sharing photos!! thanks hope to win!

Jackie Anderson Morris 24/01/14    Link Report

I prefer my camera, but I still use my phone for some pictures. I feel my camera gives me high resolution. I’m also able to adjust what I want to do with the picture more by using my camera.

Sara 25/01/14    Link Report

I prefer my camera, but I still use my phone for some pictures. I feel my camera gives me high resolution. I’m also able to adjust what I want to do with the picture more by using my camera.

Sara 25/01/14    Link Report

I like to use a camera for vacation photos, but my husband uses his phone and it takes good photos too.

sambo59 25/01/14    Link Report

Use both my camera and phone

Pat Luckman 25/01/14    Link Report

In the past I’ve always used a camera but now I only use my iPhone. While both have their advantages, for me, having my phone on me all the time allows me to capture and document my life constantly. Travel, drinks with friends, a night out having dinner, even my wedding were all captured with my iPhone. I also love looking back on my camera roll to relive the moments of my life.

Dean 25/01/14    Link Report

my camera

Nicola 'DustBusters' James 25/01/14    Link Report

Although it means carrying another item around, I like the quality of the photo’s I can take on my Samsung camera and it will fit into my pocket.

Kevin227 25/01/14    Link Report

I find myself using my iPhone because it’s more convenient in a rush.

Missionready09 26/01/14    Link Report

camera

spaceship 26/01/14    Link Report

I use my Sony Xperia S for my travel photography, I purposely chose a phone (although I definitely wanted android) that would be fit for the purpose. I find it great because my phone’s on me all the time, so I never miss anything, because we all know it’s when you’re not prepared that the perfect shot presents itself!

Susie Wilkinson 27/01/14    Link Report

I live in Tunisia and that’s relevant to my answer : I take photographs mainly on my Iphone. It is lightweight, easy to conceal and retrieve, the capacity of my memory disk is good and the pic are good enough, but mainly it is resistant to sand much more than a regular camera. Otherwise I use a small samsung compact camera which has a better pic quality, great zoom, and the Iphone camera qualities of lightweight and ease of use alas it is more prone to sand blocking the camera. So I’d have a good use of this Starter Iphonography kit if it is resistant ;) But for important moments, when things are emotional I prefer to store the memory in my mind, because it would be weird or it would destroy the moment to be outside of it for taking a photograph…

Jezabelisa 27/01/14    Link Report

I always use my iPhone 4S for travel photos as its always on hand anyways and takes fantastic photos in outdoor lighting. Plus all the photos are right where I want them for easy upload & sharing through social media!

ccalhoon 27/01/14    Link Report

I use my phone

Gillian York 27/01/14    Link Report

Whilst travelling I use both my iPhone and canon SLR. The quality photos I will take wih my canon so that I can use these high-res images to create wonderful prints to display around the house. The bonus of using my iPhone is that it registers my exact location using the GPRS so I can map out the places I have been. I love looking at the map and seeing all the little red dots..! I have plenty of places still left to visit!

Joey 28/01/14    Link Report

Most places I travel, cameras are not appropriate so I live with my memories. Memories can’t be stolen!

Jackie Danger 28/01/14    Link Report

Reality is on vacation I try to carry both my phone and camera; but often find myself taking pictures with the iphone because it is handy. Most people know how to use it, the easy of autofocus and it has a decent upclose ability. However; for anything precise the camera is always more steady, better quality more features, etc..but also heavier and more expensive to hand to someone else and hope they don’t drop it or run off with it.

otterBdiving 29/01/14    Link Report

I will use my iphone to capture pictures that I want to share instantly. I still bring along my DSLR camera.

kcang 30/01/14    Link Report

My phone is ideal for travel photography as it is lightweight, I have found a great water-proof cover that means I can take it the beach and it’s easier to upload photos to your computer.

Emma West 04/02/14    Link Report

iPhone. It’s a camera, notebook, video camera, journal, and library all in one.

Joseph Griffin 05/02/14    Link Report

My camera is my ultimate travel companion. It goes with me everywhere and anywhere. However, I just got an iPhone for the first time and am really inspired by the whole iPhone photography movement. I would love to get into iPhone photography and tell the stories behind my travels to the world. To become a travel blogger is one of my life ambitions, and getting involved in iPhone photography will be my first step in that direction :)

Chloe Priestland 05/02/14    Link Report

All of the above! I bring my iPhone everywhere and my Canon Rebel whenever I can spare the room in my backpack, as it helps me take some fantastic shots. My iPhone is great for video clips, quick snaps, and more subtle photography – and the quality is unreal! As an aspiring international journalist it’s a great tool to have. :) I love looking back through the photos and letting them trigger different memories from the trip.

Hayley 11/02/14    Link Report

Camera to keep your memories available when you need them and prevent them to fade.

maelleplo 11/02/14    Link Report

I use both my slr camera for long shots and my phone for ease and speed. Climbing Kilimanjaro recently I found my phone captured people moments whereas my camera captured the geography!

bchallis 11/02/14    Link Report

My first choice is the Iphone (4s), the best camera is the one that you have with you! What I love the most about taking pictures with the iphone is the community (sharing, editing). Also the panoramic functions are just great! Capturing a landscape and using it on my website is always fantastic! Next to that i’m also taking pictures with my Canon Ixus 220HS (compact/easy to fit in my pocket), the Canon G15 (more functions, smaller than a reflex) and the Canon 650D (with the Tamron 18-270 mm lens on). The results of these camera’s you can see on my instagram account: http://instagram.com/australianexpedition / flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/99477125@N06/ and my website: http://www.travelformotion.com

travelformotion 11/02/14    Link Report