Which Portland?

Read about your new top 10 cities in the Scotsman, then went to your site and read further. Was very happy to see Portland listed as number 10. Thought you might be speaking of Portland, Maine, as well you could have been, until I gave a careful look at the skyline of the photo. If some folks are confused and come to Portland, Maine, I think they won’t be too sorry.

Elliot Ashley 08/01/14    USA Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

3 Replies Date Popularity

Hi Elliot,

Sorry for the confusion – as you worked out, we were referring to Portland, Oregon. But should any wandering traveller find themselves in Portland, Maine, do you have any recommendations for them? It’s always good to hear tips from people who know and love a place!

Thanks!

Rebecca Hallett 08/01/14    Link Report

I think the skyline made it obvious. I met a Mainer in Nicaragua from the Maine Portland even he said when people say Portland in the US they are usually referring to Oregon. Portland Ore is a unique place with great food trucks

Ian 19/01/14    Link Report

A number of western cities and towns are named after their eastern counterparts, usually because pioneers that settled the western areas came from a specific place “back east.” So, you have Portland Oregon, but there’s also a Milwaukie, Springfield and Detroit Oregon (yep, the original pioneers cam from those cities).

CascadeBob 01/05/14    Link Report