Where should I start my first adventure!?

Hey everyone! So I will be starting school in September. I have done nothing but work work work since I have been out of high school. I am now 24 and have decided I wanted to go back to school. BUUT, before I do I want to take off. I’m kind of new to adventure, and I am unsure of where to go. I will be doing some research, but I thought I would start on a forum. I love hearing other people’s opinions and insights, so experienced travellers I appreciate your input!

Anyways as I said September I start school. My plan is to be gone for all of August. I want to jump on a plane sometime in the later of July and head off to see some of the world. I will be going at it alone… A little about me:

I’m kind of introverted, but not that shy? (If that makes any sense) Meaning I don’t hangout with my friends that often I just kind of do my own thing. I’m pretty fit and I enjoy exercise and yoga (I’m not sure I’m looking for a yoga retreat at this point, but I REALLY want to go in the future. Those are more of an expensive weeklong retreat from the gist I get) I don’t party so much anymore; anywhere that’s a huge party atmosphere all of the time is not for me. At home I tend to kick back and play guitar (I am considering bringing it but am unsure if I will be). I get outdoors and explore the trails around the river valley quite often. I love being around friendly people, and get intimidated by rough looking scowls. Oh and I don’t know if I mentioned that I am a 24 year old single male. Of course being able to socially interact *flirt* with beautiful foreign girls will be of interest to me, I will be honest there.

I guess I’m just really looking for the ultimate place for a virgin traveller to go, some tips, and the best places to be around end of July through August. I am also going back to school as I said. I have accumulated a good deal of savings but I would like to still have a good amount left over before I experience broke, super frugal student.

Again, I real appreciate your input! Thanks!

Jason Jacques 06/06/14    Activity and adventure Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

4 Replies Date Popularity

There are SO many places I could suggest, but right at the top of my own personal favourite list and for your first adventure I would strongly suggest Thailand. It is absolutely perfect for easing you into the backpacking lifestyle and giving you a great adventure! It is cheap, the food is STUNNING, you have a good mix of laid back places, party places and adventure, and the traveller infrastructure is so easy.

Michael Huxley 06/06/14    Link Report

Hi Jason,

Sounds like you’ll have an exciting summer! There are so many places you could go, depending on what you’d like to do / where you’re coming from. The Edinburgh Festival (see our August trips article, http://www.roughguides.com/article/the-best-places-to-visit-in-august/ ) is a great event, which makes it pretty easy to meet people. Plus, Scotland has some spectacular scenery – you could definitely find some activities like hiking, cycling or kayaking if you’d like to get some exercise in.

If you don’t mind the heat, I’d also suggest Malta. It’s a super-friendly place with amazing food, scenery and culture. It’s also a little off the usual tourist trail, so not as expensive as comparable European destinations. Plus, if you fancy a bit of a change, you can hop on a ferry to Gozo!

In general, I’d suggest you look up any special events or festivals happening around the world in August. It might make your choice for you – travelling at that time of year can be a little more expensive, so if you can fit in a once-in-a-lifetime event during your travels you might as well!

Hope this helps, and let us know where you decide to go!

Thanks,
Becca

Rebecca Hallett 06/06/14    Link Report

I have read an article about Thailand being the best place to ease a new traveler in. I also like the idea of being around festivals, I will look into that thanks for the link @Rebecca Hallett.

Jason Jacques 12/06/14    Link Report

Hi Jason, I am from Belgium but I have lived in Sri Lanka for several years. This island has it all: white beaches, mountains with tea estates, sport activities like rafting, festivals, ancient cities….. People are friendly. Public transportation is cheap and easy. Guesthouses you can find everywhere. Life is relaxed and cheap here! Come and enjoy the country I love so much!!

heidi-bogaerts 09/07/14    Link Report