What is the best region for wine tourism in Spain?

I’ve been to Napa Valley and the wine tourism there is quite well developt, but I’m not sure about how good and well prepared is going to be Spain for that, particularly now with the crises and everything…

Does anyone has experience in that matter?

I like the wines from Ribera del Duero, but maybe La Rioja is a better place to visit for pleasure…

Ideas?

Thanks.

Johny 27/12/13    Where to goSpain Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

3 Replies Date Popularity

Hi there, good question! I’m currently in Madrid so here is some advice from my Spanish friend:

La Rioja is best for visiting wineries – very organised and many options.

Jerez is another option which is in the south – it’s warm all year round and just 20 minutes from the coast. There’s also an airport if you want to fly there.

Happy travels (and drinking!)

Lottie Gross 29/12/13    Link Report

Hi Johnny,

I’d also recommend exploring the Penedes (home to around 90% of Cava production) and Priorat (known for powerful reds) in Catalunya. I think there’s a pretty wide range of tours, but you could also stay in Barcelona and take day-trips to the wineries if you want a city base.

I spent a day touring a couple of Penedes vineyards with Spanish Trails (http://spanish-trails.com/) from Barcelona a few months ago; they were brilliant and I’d really recommend.

Have fun!

Eleanor Aldridge 02/01/14    Link Report

It depends on how many days you will spend in your trip but La Rioja y Ribera de Duero are quite close. I think it would be interesting to enjoy and compare both D.O. And besides, you would have the chance to enjoy some architectural highlights (Catedral de Burgos) and wine with pinchos in Valladolid(one of the best cities in my opinion to do so).
Have a nice tour!

Marques de Toro 12/07/14    Link Report