Twelve Weeks in Europe!

I have twelve weeks in Europe…done the touring thing, with every night in a different bed.
Enjoyed every minute of a hectic 12500Km itinerary, but am now looking for a HOLIDAY.
With twelve weeks, I like the idea of “Living like a local” in twelve different locations. It appeals to me to take an apartment or flat for a week and get to know the local “sights and sounds” a little more intimately. Living in a city is NOT an option.
Cheers,
Linc

lincoln-dunstan 17/03/14    Where to goEurope Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

5 Replies Date Popularity

I’ve never tried it personally, but how about something like WWOOFing? You would almost certainly not be living in a city, and would be able to see a little of how the locals live in that area. Also, you would be saving money on accommodation and food, so that you could afford to take breaks every now and then on your trip and really put your feet up!

Rebecca Hallett 17/03/14    Link Report

Hi Beck,
Sounds a great option, thanks.
If you check my profile the work thingy may just not fit!
Cheers

lincoln-dunstan 18/03/14    Link Report

You’re quite right, my mistake! In which case I definitely second Lottie’s suggestion of Airbnb. Wimdu and 9flats are similar, if nothing catches your eye on Airbnb. Canopies and Stars is also an interesting company to consider – they have a variety of ‘glamping’ options around Britain, Spain, France and Portugal, and are a great way to stay out in the countryside in comfort.

Rebecca Hallett 18/03/14    Link Report

I’d recommend using Airbnb for booking apartments (airbnb.com). I’ve used it a few times and you can choose to either rent a room or entire apartment owned by locals in different cities. I’ve shared with an Indian couple in Mumbai and had a whole apartment to myself in Canterbury – great way to meet / live like a local I think! Good luck with your trip.

Lottie Gross 18/03/14    Link Report

Hi Lottie,
We like being independent. In 2010 when we did the road trip with B&B we found we lost too much time getting in and out of where we were staying. My wife and I are only able to do this sort of travel because we know what it’s like to “skin a fart for its hide” as we self cater where ever possible. Our only restriction really on our accommodation is that it is clean and you can have a good shower!
Thanks for your comments. It’s great to talk to fellow and kindred spirits.
Cheers
Linc

lincoln-dunstan 21/03/14    Link Report

Hi Linc,

Sounds like a great trip!

If I were you, I might be tempted to “theme” each of the stops on the tour to get the flavour of different areas. You could, say, spend a week pottering around one of the French wine regions (the less-visited towns in the Loire are beautiful), another exploring a Tuscan hill town, maybe a few days in the mountains somewhere (Switzerland? Slovenia?), perhaps a week in a university town like Oxford or Cambridge (OK, technically cities) then maybe an island break (Croatia? Greece?) for some Med culture and sunshine?

Let us know how you get on!

Eleanor Aldridge 20/03/14    Link Report

Yep! This is how I’m thinking. It’s perhaps just a case of setling on which places would be best served spending 1-2 weeks in, as in what is in the area to visit.
Cheers and thanks for your input Elly,
Linc

lincoln-dunstan 21/03/14    Link Report

Sounds amazing! After having done the quick tour through Europe before as well, I also went for this option once I revisited. I chose to live in Barcelona for 8 months, and it was incredible to say the least – I got to know the city in so many ways I hadn’t known about before, even though I’d been there three times in the past. I realise that you don’t have as much time as that, and you don’t want to live in a city, but that’s just a testimony for slow travel in general.

Have to agree with Rebecca and say that WWOOF is a great option. Also check out websites like Helpx and Workaway – they list free volunteering opportunities as well, and you’ll certainly find yourself in places where no other tourists go. I’ve done a lot of HelpX work around the world, and been to the weirdest of places, but the local life was completely authentic! You can find some easy and relaxed placements on there too – it’s not all building or farming. Volunteering is a massive spectrum nowadays. But, it may not be the holiday you’re looking for!

Have a wonderful trip, wherever you go!

Emma Higgins 27/03/14    Link Report