Turkmenistan in October

I’ve been told Turkmenistan does not permit any foreign visitors during the month of October. I’ve also heard that, if you request a tourist visa months in advance, it will be granted and you will be allowed entry. Does anyone have any direct experience or knowledge they can share to help clarify the situation?

Thanks.

Kelly Cannon 13/02/13    When to goTurkmenistan Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

3 Replies Date Popularity

Hey! I’ve got a friend there and she’s going to find out for me – I’m trying to sort out visiting her so it would be good for me to know too! Will let you know when I hear from her in the next day or so.

Charlie

CMelville 17/02/13    Link Report

Charlie, thanks. I’ll be interested to hear what she finds out.

Kelly

Kelly Cannon 17/02/13    Link Report

Who told you that Turkmenistan is closed in October? I never heard anything like that! Strange…

steven hermans 12/08/13    Link Report

Three of the four tour operators I contacted advised us to avoid Turkmenistan in October. It apparently has to do with that being the month in which their independence day occurs. There are civic celebrations, especially toward the end of the month. They seem to be worried about disturbances caused by outsiders, that sort of thing. Each of the three operators reported having travelers refused visas at the border during Oct. We’re going ahead as planned, but are in the process of securing our visas now, rather than at the border. We also rearranged our itinerary so that we enter and leave TM before mid-month. We’re also making backup plans in case we can’t get in. Probably unnecessary, but who wants to get stuck?

Kelly Cannon 17/08/13    Link Report