southeast asia for 5 weeks

hello all!
traveling to southeast asia (cambodia, thailand, laos, vietnam)
debating whether to do a tour (specifically G Adventures indochina discovery which runs for 30 days and goes to all countries)
or possibly going it alone, i have just purchased the rough guides southeast asia on a budget ebook but just wanted some info and advice from others!!
i have traveled to asia before but all of these countries are new to me! i am also traveling with a friend so i’m not by myself.
any help would be lovely!
thank you!

laura 24/08/14    Budget travelAsia Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

3 Replies Date Popularity

It is completely up to you. These tours are fine if you want the company of a group and want the logistics sorted (where to stay, transport etc).

However, if you already have the company, you can do the exact same route (if you like) as G adventures tours on your own for much less money and with much more freedom of where to stay, what to do and where to go.

I personally think however, tour or not, that 5 weeks is FAR too short a time to see all of these countries.

Have a look in the individual country guides here for more info on each country.

Michael Huxley 24/08/14    Link Report

i know! i thought 5 weeks was too short but then i found the tour and it seems to go everywhere so i thought it would be okay! but the price (approx $2800 aud) is a bit steep for what i would consider budget even though it works out cheap per day! im debating whether it might be better to focus on 2 or 3 countries in this time instead!

laura 24/08/14    Link Report

Hi Laura,

I travelled SEAsia independently with friends a few years ago, and along the way did a tour with Intrepid. We much preferred travelling independently, as we had more freedom and could change our itinerary at a moment’s notice.

Cambodia, Thailand, Laos and Vietnam are all very accessible countries, so I’d thoroughly recommend travelling independently, especially as you’re with a friend, so you can have as much freedom as possible. The Rough Guide to Southeast Asia got us across the continent from Malaysia to the southern tip of Vietnam, via northern Thailand and Laos, so hopefully it’ll be enough to help you navigate your trip!

Good luck and happy travels,
Lottie

Lottie Gross 26/08/14    Link Report

thanks lottie! we are planning to do it independently now! we have discussed and all we need to do is get together for a major planning session of what we want to do!
thank you for your help :)

laura 26/08/14    Link Report

I just completed a five week trip around SE Asia and although ideally I’d've liked more time, you can fit in the four countries you’d like to visit (although you might have to make some sacrifices along the way). Perhaps it would be best to focus on two countries, especially if you can go back in the future for more travelling?

I travelled independently with a friend and found that taking short flights (Thailand – Laos, then Laos – Vietnam) was a very efficient (and cheap!) way of getting around. The train systems in Thailand and Vietnam are also very good, especially for overnight which will save you time.

In total , I probably spent more than what you would pay for a 30 day tour, but I really wanted to travel without being chained to one itinerary, so it was worth it for me. :)

eltorgie 29/08/14    Link Report