Should airlines completely ban reclining seats?

A recent survey suggests the majority of passengers wants the dreaded reclining seats in economy classed banned altogether, and I am one of them!

http://bemusedbackpacker.com/2013/10/18/is-it-time-airlines-banned-reclining-seats-completely/

What do you think? Time to ban or just keep on reclining?

Michael Huxley 18/10/13    General travel chat Link Report

Processing your request, Please wait....

6 Replies Date Popularity

Ban!

Leesr 19/10/13    Link Report

Short and sweet! Love it! Haha! Totally agree!

Michael Huxley 20/10/13    Link Report

I have to say again I am surprised at the amount of people agreeing with me on this issue (on twitter, FB and other places too).

It used to be the second you mentioned banning reclining seats the dreaded recliners would all seemingly launch a vitriolic assault on anyone who dared to complain! Now it seems those who think it should be banned are becoming the majority!

Michael Huxley 20/10/13    Link Report

22camels 21/10/13    Link Report

I’ve seen that article, and I LOVE those seats! The airlines won’t put them in though because if they do they will lose 1 row. Just 1 bl**dy row! It’s a p.take!

Any airline could put those seats in and yes lose 1 row of seats, but gain a LOT of customer satisfaction and loyalty, and surely that is worth a lot more! Furthermore if they put them in there would be no need for business class, so do away with the classes and put extra rows in there instead! Surely they would make far more money that way? Short sighted fools!

Michael Huxley 21/10/13    Link Report

I say ban them! It’s not so bad if you’re watching the little screen for movies, tv shows, whatever, but most of the time I’m trying to watch something on my ipad or read, which I can’t do if your head is in my face.

And, I’m not going to lie, if you’re in my space, I’m going to be that person that knees you in the back. We all paid the same price for these flights, so I deserve a little comfort too. Sorry not sorry. ;)

Laura Pucik 21/10/13    Link Report

Absolutely agree with you! I have no compunction about making them feel as uncomfortable as they make me feel. If they have a problem, hey, I’m a conservative 6″2 and not exactly petite (which is the damn problem in the first place) so I think I fancy my chances!

Michael Huxley 21/10/13    Link Report

I have to admit, it’s pretty grim when someone has set off the chain of recliners ahead of you, and you’re sitting at the back against a wall where your seat won’t recline, face full-o-chair!

I also don’t think the ‘recline’ (more like acute angle) on economy seats actually makes any difference to your comfort or the ease of sleeping.

If there were a petition to ban them, I’d sign it!

Lottie Gross 23/10/13    Link Report

I think I vaguely remember reading about a study done a while back that showed the recline only added marginal comfort to you. Its just so selfish. Hmm, maybe a petition is needed?

Michael Huxley 24/10/13    Link Report

I’m looking at you Michael!

Lottie Gross 24/10/13    Link Report

My long legs and I hate reclining seats!

I’ve now taken to sitting in an aisle seat and putting my legs into the aisle; I’d rather run the gauntlet of the air hostesses than have my knees crippled by someone reclining onto my legs.

Also, it steals the tiny bit of space my children have off them; they end up rattling the seat in front of them!

rmpiedra 03/11/13    Link Report